Long Haul with boat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Padraig

Reaction score
Have hauled my 6,000 # boat before but this time it will be to Bolton Landing NY, about a 420 mile haul. I will be leaving it there for a engine rebuild and a few more added horses . I have filled up the DEF and have a spare 2.5 gallon container packed. I have read that hauling a load increases DEF use. Am I covered with a full tank and a spare? Driving a 2023 Suburban. Longest trip, till now has been 120 miles.

Padraig

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't tow and likely won't, but it seems to me that the additional DEF usage others have indicated is nowhere near what you are already prepared for. With a full DEF tank and a spare 2.5 gallon container, it seems like you should be perfectly fine outside of a malfuntion like an incorrect level reading (which I guess is possible).

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd probably just plan on refueling at truck stops where you can get diesel and DEF at the same dispenser. With a heavier tow I would probably fill both of them up at every stop. It's pretty simple and eliminates the possibility of running out of each. Keeping a 2.5 in the back never hurts, but as long as you fill both at each stop there shouldn't be any problems.