Looking for an alternative to new paint/vinyl for hood. Flood penetrol or similar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a black 2015 Tahoe, and unsurprisingly I'm looking for an alternative to repainting or vinyl wrapping my hood and roof.

It's pretty chalky, and no amount of buffing helps. I'd consider wet sanding...but I think there is enough evidence online to show I would be wasting my time. However, I'd just like something that'll bring "some" color and gloss back.

This is a work vehicle/occasional family hauler with 230k miles. It isn't a pavement queen and regularly sees rough pioneer roads and access trails for work. I've seen seen some cars (mainly rat rods) that they used a paint on alternative to bring back some shine and create a patina. I believe the products were:

Poppy's Patina

Flood penetrol

Vice grip garage

Zep floor polish

I know, it sounds silly... but I'm not interested in dumping money into the hood and roof. Maintenance to keep it running trumps any cosmetic stuff lol.

Anyone ever try the above products or have experience with other products worth looking into?

Pacfanweb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I water sanded and buffed the hood on my wife's 16. Made a big difference. That was at least 2 years ago, it still looks decent. Keep UV blocking sealer on it. Need to do the front of the roof now.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I water sanded and buffed the hood on my wife's 16. Made a big difference. That was at least 2 years ago, it still looks decent. Keep UV blocking sealer on it. Need to do the front of the roof now.
Any special technique you followed? My 2015 hood is in dire need of help as well

I haven’t tried anything yet

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was also starting to look like crap. I went a different direction, but had a longer range idea in mind too.

Prep was scuffing with an 800 grit sanding sponge. Quick wipe down to get any dust off, then 4 cans of the material.

The louver happened a few months later.

Might be a bit extreme for some.

IMG_3665.jpeg

IMG_3671.jpeg

IMG_4283.jpeg

IMG_4287.jpeg

IMG_4288.jpeg

Pacfanweb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any special technique you followed? My 2015 hood is in dire need of help as well

I haven’t tried anything yet
Started with 800 grit on a DA, water sanding. Went up to 3000, then polished. It didn't get all the cracks out, but it shined up everything that wasn't cracked and that really masks the cracks quite a bit. They are much less noticeable.
I have never touched the roof. Going to do that soon as it cools off here a bit.
I thought the hood would have faded again by now, as I only put the UV protectant on it that once, when I did the buffing, but it still looks pretty much as it did when I first buffed it. Kind of surprised at that.

At the very least, it's WAY better than the roof looks, so much better than had I done nothing.

blondie70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was also starting to look like crap. I went a different direction, but had a longer range idea in mind too.

Prep was scuffing with an 800 grit sanding sponge. Quick wipe down to get any dust off, then 4 cans of the material.

The louver happened a few months later.

Might be a bit extreme for some.

View attachment 436482

View attachment 436483

View attachment 436484

View attachment 436485

View attachment 436486
I had a tractor I did that to. The glare on a sunny day would just about burn my eyeballs out. Painful. After I sprayed it, it was cool as a cucumber (real cool). I bet you ain't got any glare problems with your truck. Looks good too.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a tractor I did that to. The glare on a sunny day would just about burn my eyeballs out. Painful. After I sprayed it, it was cool as a cucumber (real cool). I bet you ain't got any glare problems with your truck. Looks good too.
Thanks! I can’t say I had glare issues before, but it does change the look plus disguise the louver.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flood penetrol? The same stuff used on the old oil based paint to extend the open time? What or how is that used to restore a 2k clear on a hood?

I would just say sand and spray a single stage and it's going to look almost as good as new, and give you plenty of life. A HF HTE spray gun should be good.

EducatorDan

Reaction score
I'm just pulling this out of my ear but I had always planned if I had an old truck etc (one that was pretty base a sparely equipped) and the paint got tired I'd coat it with spray on bed liner. Then I could stop worrying about the clear coat etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1