Looking to buy a work truck. Need expert assistance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would check it out soon. I liked that deal too. First thing is the rust, I will go through with my scan tool as well. I think these trucks have common issues with stabilitrack, it should be disabled too. I plan to install Air ride for better comfort and easier loading and unloading.
I would definitely buy that Yukon if service records check out and if a good Independent Mechanic gives me the green light. Looks extremely well maintained.

OP
OP
M

makintoshnex

Reaction score
A truck, like a pick-up? What are you using it for as far as hauling? Any towing? How much?

A GMT800 2500 8 lug LQ4/4L80e/14 bolt rear discs brakes is a pretty darn bulletproof drivetrain; that's what just about everyone here uses for landscaping, construction, etc. GMT900 has similar engine and rear end, but has the 6L90e which is more problematic and expensive to repair.

The equivalent 1500s are still decent, but will have the lighter duty transmissions and rear end. If you don't need high payload or towing, they are good options and get better gas mileage. On the newer 1500 trucks you do have to deal with AFM/DOD stuff, but not on the HDs. All of this also applies to the SUVs.

If you are in the rustbelt, things change because a lot of these older trucks I just mentioned have been long gone due to rust, so you may be looking at newer trucks simply by what's out there in your region. Or go south and purchase a southern truck, IDK.

Good luck.
Sometimes I do Elevator Ballance test, it requires 1500 lbs , so I have a small trailer with weights on them I need to tow it. Company has Sprinter, so I use it for now. But sometimes it is not available and I have to reschedule to a date when it is available. With my towing, I would have company reimbursement plus I can throw my tools inside. Id prefer SUV over Pick up, just simply because more maneuverability and easier access to tools from trunk. GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade or Tahoe would be good choice. As far as I understand there is no Tahoe with 6.2 in 2007-2009 non AFM gen?

OP
OP
M

makintoshnex

Reaction score
So far my search es are not effective. Vehicles either pretty much beat up with the bunch of owners on them, Plus there are issues with the stabilitrack on most of them. So far I haven't found a vehicle with the easy fix problem. Most of them require serious dig in and investigation. Prices in my area from 3500 up to 7500. With the mileages from 225,000 to 145,000 miles. So far I have plenty of time and this is nothing That I should rush. But I'm really surprised that even here in New York and New Jersey that we have pretty aggressive Winters, I still managed to find two vehicles with good frame. No rust, just surface rouge.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I understand there is no Tahoe with 6.2 in 2007-2009 non AFM gen?
Incorrect. The L92 was available in the 2008 Tahoe in RWD only, very few made. The 2009 LTZ Tahoe had many hundreds made in RWD and 4WD with the L9H.

2010 GMC Yukon XL was also found with the L9H engine, not a Denali. Very few made but they show up a few times a year.

The 2500 Yukon XLs and Suburbans didn't have AFM on their 6.0 engines and they have a high payload capacity.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what years should I look at?
2008-2013. The 2007s had a 4-speed transmission. 2009 introduced hands free bluetooth for your phone and the integrated trailer brake controller as standard. 2010 introduced the L96 engine which is FlexFuel capable. 2012 introduced trailer sway control, hill start assist and other towing enhancements. I'd shoot for a 2013 but don't know your budget and how fast you need it. I have no qualms about buying the right one for me anywhere in these United States.

OP
OP
M

makintoshnex

Reaction score
don't know your budget and how fast you need it.
This is no rush buy. I'm looking for reliable SUV that can be fixed either with my help or our shop mechanic. GM got a lot of affordable aftermarket parts. Unlike Toyota or Honda, parts can be bought in local AutoZone without pre-order and delivery. I looking for a budget from 4 to 5 k max. Unfortunately I can't find decent mileage on a vehicle. Most are either over 200 k or close to it.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe and 2005 Denali Yukon. They are new enough to have all the modern amenities I want but something I can still fix myself (mostly) and parts are reasonable (2015 Tahoe headlight assy is 1.5k just saying). I would not buy anything newer, the newer you get the more gadgets and doodads that can break and the higher the costs for parts and the more technical skill required.
If I ever total one I will be buying a 2004-2006 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade to replace it, so that is my advice to you just budget/expect that you will need to do common repairs.

OP
OP
M

makintoshnex

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe and 2005 Denali Yukon. They are new enough to have all the modern amenities I want but something I can still fix myself (mostly) and parts are reasonable (2015 Tahoe headlight assy is 1.5k just saying). I would not buy anything newer, the newer you get the more gadgets and doodads that can break and the higher the costs for parts and the more technical skill required.
If I ever total one I will be buying a 2004-2006 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade to replace it, so that is my advice to you just budget/expect that you will need to do common repairs.
That what I got in mind from the beginning. For my budget 4 k, there is better chance to get decent truck with less mileage, than newer generations. Plus if look enough and negotiate a bit, I would be able to save some money for upgrades.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That what I got in mind from the beginning. For my budget 4 k, there is better chance to get decent truck with less mileage, than newer generations. Plus if look enough and negotiate a bit, I would be able to save some money for upgrades.
If your budget is $4K for a full size SUV, you better lower your standards significantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lacebm2