Low beam headlight fix...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Yukon4x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is for all you guys who have not found out why your low beam headlamps stop working even though everything else works. I had the same problem until yesterday. I purchased a new headlamp switch and also a turn signal/hazard switch. They both worked fine, I just wanted new switches to make the interior look better. I figured at the same time I wanted to track down why the headlamps do not work.
While removing the turn signal switch assembly, I found a wire that had pulled out of the bottom of the switch assembly. It looked like from using the tilt column over the years the wiring on the turn signal switch just got weak. As I was changing out the switch I found another cable pulled out. Now keep in mind everything worked up to this point. Curse, hazards, turn signals and wipers. After replacing the turn signal switch, I just had a hunch to check to see if I was getting power to the headlamps. Yep, wouldn't you know it, everything works perfectly again.
My thought in to why this switch would effect the headlamps is that there are certain things that have to happen for your headlamps to turn on.
1. parking brake has to be off.
2. the gear selector is moved from the park position.
Maybe, that one wire might have been the signal that told the headlamp that one of those 2 features were not disengaged. Causing the headlamps to not switch from the DRL to headlamps. Now, my DRL has been deactivated by scraping the strip off of the DRL card. But, that shouldn't have effected the headlamp operation.

I do not know if this will fix your headlamp problem, but I do know that allot of us have had this problem without a solution. I stumbled across it by accident because of my OCD for wanting new switches. Go OCD.....
I hope this helps... D :drool:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Gear selection has no play in it at all and effects nothing in regards to the drl or headlight system. However, in order for the DRL system to function the parking brake must be released. Glad to hear that your lights are working now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968