LT or P tires & Tire size Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the consensus on running LT tires vs P tires on our trucks? I occasionally tow but its just a DD most times.

Also, will running larger diameter tires cause premature wear on the transmission? I'd like this truck to last as long as possible

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I went around and around with this about 6 months ago. I always ran LT tires over P tires in the past but I noted a change in how they are rating and manufacturing tires now so paying attention to the load index has become more important than load range or P vs LT. They also rate tire as standard or extra load.

Larger diameter tires will have an effect on the load placed on your engine and drive-line. You may or may not notice depending on your gearing and the overall condition of the truck. Your speedometer will be effected by tire size so keep that in mind.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think it also depends on how you DD it. I run the piss out of mine all the time. Like the T-shirt says, "Drive it like you stole it" and I do. I would want the tire that puts up with my abuse at all times but still has a certain look I like. Since I hardly ever drive in any snow, if I do it is a dusting or less than 2", I drive on wet streets here in the PNW and I want the best wet/dry traction. I know some tire treads are knobby and look a certain way but that is not what I want. I like the most tread on the ground for the best traction on the roads I drive on and be able to handle the G forces I force on them at times. The better sidewall means a lot to me. I care about stiffness and handling more than comfort. Good luck.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the consensus on running LT tires vs P tires on our trucks? I occasionally tow but its just a DD most times.

Also, will running larger diameter tires cause premature wear on the transmission? I'd like this truck to last as long as possible

You can tow with P-Metrics just as well as LTs on our light duty trucks. The P-Metrics use less air to meet their weight ratings. The LT Load Range D and E are of course much more heavily constructed and heavier too.

Our trucks were designed to run up to a 32" tall tire in either a P-Metric or a Load Range C LT. So even an E tire in stock sizes weighs 15-20+ pounds more than the OE tires. Can the hubs and drivetrain handle it? Yes but it will reduce service life, especially a wider tire.

When I bought my truck it had BFGs in LR E. Truck got moving like it had a high stall torque converter and didn't coast at all when you let off the gas. I swapped them out for LR C tires and she coasts now and no more lag off the line. I was hoping they would be stronger, more road hazard resistant but after three years, three tires have been patched! Would not have happened with Es! Some of those nails would have tore up a P-Metric though.

I am giving serious thought to running a taller tire next time around, 275-65-20s will not rub and is 34" tall. I'll regear to 3.73s to keep rpms near the same. Tires in that size though are all LR E. We shall see.

Last edited:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonduck