LTZ HID lights weak and low -fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsetsaf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Leaving this for posterity sake. Yes your HID bulbs can and will dim over time. The effect is that your lights will seem like they are aimed low and/or they won't light up much of the road. The bulbs will still appear bright when looking at them.

Like anything else the bulbs wear out. New bulbs are available all over and they are D3S HID bulbs.

On the 2015 suburban LTZ replacing the bulbs is straightforward. There is a plastic cap on the top rear of the assembly, pretty tight, just turn left and it comes off. Passenger side you need to remove the airbox and pop the clips for the protective dust cover.

You can release the plug clip and work it downward off the back of the bulb/ballast (silver square thing). Once unplugged place solid forward, inward, pressure on the bulb, grab the ballast for this, and turn counter clockwise. It will eventually give and spin to about 10 o'clock. Then shimmy it as you pull it out.

My driver bulb had no obvious signs of degradation while my passenger showed the internal clouding of the hid capsule I read about.

You slide the white plastic retainer up and off the old bulb and down on to the new.

Reverse the procedure to install. Test the lights before buttoming everything back up. Huge improvement in light output will be obvious.

Safe travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3