LZ1 Hybrid 6.0 into Normal Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTX-SLPR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

While there's a chance my dissatisfaction with the towing capability of my '13 Yukon XL with the 5.3L is trans related, I still can't ignore the siren's song of more power. Has anyone ever taken a LZ1 or LFA 6.0L out of a hybrid and done the AFM delete, including cam, and swapped it into a standard truck? Considering the rest of the hyrbid's systems seem to go out first, they are more common and slightly cheaper than the L76 (truck) motors that are the other option to keep the nose weight down. Call me short sighted but the 6.2L doesn't appeal to me as much though I guess they are more common. Guess I want to keep the potentially marginally better fuel economy without the weight of an iron 6.0L.

Thanks

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting concept. Personally, I don't have any experience with any hybrid GM setup, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. A lightweight 6.0L is a sweet option for something outside the hybrid vehicle.

What size load are you towing? What's your axle ratio? It could be as simple as a gear change to get you a better experience. More motor with crappy gearing won't add much, if any, and could spell disaster for the piece in between (aka: trans).

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a hybrid but I haven't taken the engine apart, but nothing I know of would keep you from using it, not you'd definitely need afm delete. the compression ratio is higher, so you might have to run 93 in it.

only thing you might check is that it has starter bolt holes drilled. I haven't paid attention, but the hybrid doesn't have a stater, so its possible they aren't drilled and tapped. not likely, but worth double checking. if needed any machine shop can do it for you. or if you can remind me the next oil change I can take a look.

if you do pick one up. the tranny if good are valuable, as are some of the other hybrid parts. few modules and braking systems parts aren't made anymore. the battery is the downfall mostly on the electric side but the parts inside the battery are with a few bucks. ebay the used parts might pay for the build

OP
OP
C

CTX-SLPR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting concept. Personally, I don't have any experience with any hybrid GM setup, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. A lightweight 6.0L is a sweet option for something outside the hybrid vehicle.

What size load are you towing? What's your axle ratio? It could be as simple as a gear change to get you a better experience. More motor with crappy gearing won't add much, if any, and could spell disaster for the piece in between (aka: trans).
You're hitting at one of the games I'm playing in my head about how to make this truck work the best for all the situations and not end up like my old K2500 that was great at everything but gas mileage. Is running the 6.0L on a taller rear gears (3.08s) going to do better than a 5.3L on steeper gears (3.42s or 3.73s)? I'm towing a twin axle enclosed trailer for my Trail Life troop, most of the time with only 2-3 boys in the vehicle but sometimes it's near full. It's heavy but I don't know a weight. The K2500 with the 454 didn't really care too much about it; you knew it was there but it was more noticeable for the sounds than the load.
I have a hybrid but I haven't taken the engine apart, but nothing I know of would keep you from using it, not you'd definitely need afm delete. the compression ratio is higher, so you might have to run 93 in it.

only thing you might check is that it has starter bolt holes drilled. I haven't paid attention, but the hybrid doesn't have a stater, so its possible they aren't drilled and tapped. not likely, but worth double checking. if needed any machine shop can do it for you. or if you can remind me the next oil change I can take a look.

if you do pick one up. the tranny if good are valuable, as are some of the other hybrid parts. few modules and braking systems parts aren't made anymore. the battery is the downfall mostly on the electric side but the parts inside the battery are with a few bucks. ebay the used parts might pay for the build
I doubt I'm buying one to part out, probably snagging the engine from a yard on www.car-part.com. HOA and the Wife would definitely not be happy to take one to bits in the driveway or garage. There's rumors I've seen of all sorts of lightweight parts on a Hybrid that would be the only thing worth buying a whole one if I going to swap those parts over too.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the tahoes the hood and hatch are aluminum, the front clip is lower got better aero, but I think I saw you need the fenders too. but the yukon and caddy didn't have the aluminum stuff.

at a yard it's probably going to be just as expensive as any other aluminum ls. a cam in your 5.3. might get you all you need

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have the 6 speed trans, and 3.08 gears are a pooch......good for cruising nonstop to Florida with the wife and 2 suitcases. My Denali has the 6.2L and 3.42 gears and I can tell you that it'll tow a 5k trailer fairly well, but only up to 5th gear depending on wind drag. More motor is NOT going to make any noticeable change for quite a large money and time investment. I'd either look for a Denali XL or Escalade ESV for the room and power. You might be money and headaches ahead.

Last option is to find a front differential and a complete rear axle with either 3.42 or 3.73 and just let the 5.3L do it's job. A little tuner time will dial in the trans shift points with new gear ratios and you'll be off and running. This option can be completed in a weekend.

Best of luck. Keep us posted!

OP
OP
C

CTX-SLPR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting, cross-reference the 2009 Yukon XL 1500 RWD as a year with a 5.3, 6.0, and 6.2 all with the 6L80 on www.fueleconomy.gov
CityHighwayCombined
5.3L142016
6.0L141916
6.2L121915
Interesting that the 6.2L has lower mpg than the 6.0L. Kinda reinforces the desire for one over the 6.2L. Not sure what the rear axle ratios are to know how that factors in but a 3.42 rear axle is pretty easy to come by in both 8.5 and 9.5. Guess I can take that slowly...

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6.0 can be had in Cathedral and rectangle port heads.. the general theory says cathedral is better for low engine speed tq and rec port flow better for more hp up top. so many factors play into that thou. the hybrid 6.0 is cathedral port.

there's also a theory that smaller bore size is more efficient fuel burn, so better mileage out of a 4.8/5.3 even thou they are working harder.

what you could do it cam swap the 5.3, tune and tranny tune. then if you're sitll not happy that same cam and springs can swap over to your 6.0 build and your tranny is already tuned.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size load are you towing? What's your axle ratio?
It could be as simple as a gear change to get you a better experience.
More motor with crappy gearing won't add much, if any, and could spell disaster for the piece in between (aka: trans).
GM has undergeared nearly every V8 vehicle they've EVER sold. CAFE MpG scores do NOT directly correlate to the real world.
Look at the progression of the underdriven gears in the 4L60 vs the 6L80 vs the 8L90 vs the 10L80,
then ask, why more forward gears, and why even more aggressive first and second gears?
Put another way, NEARLY EVERYONE wondering about a cam for more ENGINE power,
should instead get more axle, for more power TO THE GROUND.
(More axle is often also needed just to make up for the undergearing effect of taller tires,
but even more axle gearing than that may be needed for the extra weight of the taller tires.)

You have a 6L80. First thing you should consider is 3.73.
If you want to tow REALLY heavy, maybe even 4.10, if you stick with the 5.3L.
The mild sacrifice you may make in unladen MpGs will be paid back in 6L80 durability & longevity.
When towing, the more axle, better axle gearing improves BOTH MpG AND 6L80E durability / longevity.

Getting your ecm & tcm tuned will protect your 6L80 even longer.
There are far too many people who have not yet come to understand why they should get tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RB123

Latest posts