MAF sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried a search but couldn't find much. Can someone point me in the right direction or explain to me how to clean my maf sensor. I have a 2000 nbs tahoe and it seems to be running fine but I'm trying to get a little better efficiency and I don't believe it has ever been cleaned so I figured it couldn't hurt. Thanks.

sticks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Orielly or any auto shop sells a MAF cleaner. Just remove it and spray. I read the directions off the can and it clean it. I didn't really notice a difference though.

OP
OP
chauncey0337

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks sticks. I figured it would be pretty easy but just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I had to watch out for.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm going to clean mine and do the whole Seafoam thing in the next day or two. I'll notice if it runs better. Stalling a lot lately for no apparent reason and mileage has gone from 14.8 city to 11.9 all of a sudden.

OP
OP
chauncey0337

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to clean mine and do the whole Seafoam thing in the next day or two. I'll notice if it runs better. Stalling a lot lately for no apparent reason and mileage has gone from 14.8 city to 11.9 all of a sudden.

15 to 12 all of a sudden... weird. O2 sensor maybe?

Last edited:

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Clean the throttle body...don't forget to open the butterfly and get up in there as far as you can. Do this and clean he maf with maf cleaner and replace your air filter...but drive it before you do the sea foam, especially if you are doing the sea foam induction to the brake booster. This will allow you to first end the stalling issue and then you can see the benefits from the sea foam....rather than wonder what fixed ur stallng issue. If you have over 90k go ahead and replace the plugs after a cople sea foam induction treatments..

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
BOSS: Thanks, will do.

15 to 12 all of a sudden... weird. O2 sensor maybe?

That's about what mine did exactly. Still seems to do ok on the highway as long as I maintain a constant speed, though. I'll let you know if I see any improvement with the TB and MAF cleaning.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BOSS: Thanks, will do.

That's about what mine did exactly. Still seems to do ok on the highway as long as I maintain a constant speed, though. I'll let you know if I see any improvement with the TB and MAF cleaning.

Read mean greens post re: your ac compressor, it culd be stalling ur truck out if the electronics are going out or a relay is bad for your compressor too...remove the belt to test like he said...after the above :waytogo:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
get this, and like BOSS said, open buttlerfly, get some carb cleaner and a rag, clean out TB, leave butterfly open to let it 'airout' before you reassemble.

0905gmhtp_04_z+crc+mass_air_flow_sensor_cleaner.jpg

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Definitely runs smoother after the cleaning. Better throttle response. We'll see how it does with the stalling issue. Haven't had time to drive it enough to fully call that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52