Magneride towing experiences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A year ago we bought a 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2L/10-speed with mageride (no air) to tow our 5300lb dual axle trailer -> camper w/650lb tongue weight. It didn't have the tow package so we added a Curt brake controller. It tows/operates very well / very pleased.

Without WDH the rear dropped and front raised noticeably more than with WDH. With WDH it's looks pretty much level and is rock solid up to 70mph w/20mph cross-winds.

Here's a thread I did with pics/detail - https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...lb-trailer-with-and-without-stablizer.143763/

Last edited:

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch the inside edge of your tires like a hawk. 0.1 degrees camber per 100 pounds on hitch...

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your tongue weight? and trailer weight? Yes, my 2021 magneride is also even with 650 tongue weight, 5300lb trailer, and Blue Ox WDH - pleasure to tow :)
Not exactly sure what it is when fully loaded but dry, it’s 570lbs. If I had to guess, loaded(around 6500lbs)it’s probably at 700-750lbs. For reference, the trailer is a Sundance 241bh.

jerry455

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2021 Suburban tows fantastic. We pull a Grand Design Imagine MLE 22. It has a slide and weighs around 5200 lbs. unloaded. The Suburban sits a little low in the back but it tows so well, I don't want to adjust it. It will pull at 80 mph, only tried it to see, I usually stay at the truck speed limit, and there is no sway at all. I do have a WD hitch. It is the best towing vehicle I have ever owned. It does not have air ride but does have magneride.

Attachments

• truck and trailer.jpg
    truck and trailer.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 5

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2021 Suburban tows fantastic. We pull a Grand Design Imagine MLE 22. It has a slide and weighs around 5200 lbs. unloaded. The Suburban sits a little low in the back but it tows so well, I don't want to adjust it. It will pull at 80 mph, only tried it to see, I usually stay at the truck speed limit, and there is no sway at all. I do have a WD hitch. It is the best towing vehicle I have ever owned. It does not have air ride but does have magneride.
Weight distributing hitch (WDH) for the win! Looks great.

I've been towing a 7500 lb camper with a 2012 Yukon XL Denali for several years now, and I agree that these rigs are a great towing platform. But I wouldn't tow anything more than 4000 lbs without a WDH with integrated sway control. I've had some experiences towing in heavy, gusty winds where I know I would have struggled to maintain control without effective sway control on the hitch itself.

It's also worth mentioning that the factory integrated trailer brake controller takes sway control to the next level by engaging the trailer brakes when it detects too much trailer sway.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight distributing hitch (WDH) for the win! Looks great.

I've been towing a 7500 lb camper with a 2012 Yukon XL Denali for several years now, and I agree that these rigs are a great towing platform. But I wouldn't tow anything more than 4000 lbs without a WDH with integrated sway control. I've had some experiences towing in heavy, gusty winds where I know I would have struggled to maintain control without effective sway control on the hitch itself.
This was my experience. My trailer is 5300lb w/650 tonque weight and I tried towing without the WDH at first. The rear sunk 2" instead of 1" and at ~55mph started noticing unpleasant beginnings of sway. I could drive 60mph but I started having to really pay attention - not fun. With the WDH - no problems at all up to 75mph and 20mph cross winds going by Idaho on I-84 last spring. :)

It's also worth mentioning that the factory integrated trailer brake controller takes sway control to the next level by engaging the trailer brakes when it detects too much trailer sway.
My 2021 Yukon didn't have integrated controller - installed the standard aftermarket Curt and I presume it doesn't help with trailer sway. Is this because the rig isn't programmed for it? / doesn't detect it?. Just curious.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was my experience. My trailer is 5300lb w/650 tonque weight and I tried towing without the WDH at first. The rear sunk 2" instead of 1" and at ~55mph started noticing unpleasant beginnings of sway. I could drive 60mph but I started having to really pay attention - not fun. With the WDH - no problems at all up to 75mph and 20mph cross winds going by Idaho on I-84 last spring. :)

My 2021 Yukon didn't have integrated controller - installed the standard aftermarket Curt and I presume it doesn't help with trailer sway. Is this because the rig isn't programmed for it? / doesn't detect it?. Just curious.
That’s right but you can manually engage the trailer brakes with most controllers if you need to. Of course that requires remembering to do that while crapping one’s pants, but whatever.

I’m towing with a Suburban 3500 now and I had to add a brake controller to it. Se la vie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SawDustMaker