map lights leave me puzzled :-(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SC88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What style are you guys using for the puddle lights? I have the normal type and they don't seem as bright so I ordered a few canbus style to complete the interior and try for the puddle lamps.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What style are you guys using for the puddle lights? I have the normal type and they don't seem as bright so I ordered a few canbus style to complete the interior and try for the puddle lamps.

I'm using standard LED bulbs for the puddles and they seem to work fine!! Shouldn't need Canbus ones for the puddles, but if you try them and they seem to work, let us know!

SC88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do! I know I switched to the canbus for my front maps and beside being bright even with the key off there just overall a brighter light so i am hoping they will do the same for the rest of the lights.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure the LED bulb will fit in the puddle location, theres not as much space as there is in the dome lights!!

OP
OP
TOWRIGG

TOWRIGG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing about puddle's....canbus or not...def let us know if theres a difference..

OP
OP
TOWRIGG

TOWRIGG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot of us have been through that that have switched to LED's and it was quite an experience to how we solved it!! Basically, the normal bulbs draw quite a bit more current, and when you switch on a light manually, the draw kicks on another circuit which gives the light full power! When you switch to LED, the draw is practically not there, which is the reason you only get half lit LED's!!

What you need to buy for every light that you can switch on manually with a switch is the CANBUS style LED bulbs for each!! The canbus style bulbs have a built in resistor in them which solves the problem in a heartbeat!! We tried other ways to solve it and they worked as well, but this is indeed the easiest solution!!

So basically, would need to buy them for the first row map lights, second row dome lights, and the vanity lights in the visors if those bug you with only being half bright!!

Here's an example of what I bought for my map lights!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CANBUS-T1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a19991aa9&vxp=mtr

THANK YOU!!!! they worked great...just ordered the canbus festoon ones for my second and third row maps.....

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!! they worked great...just ordered the canbus festoon ones for my second and third row maps.....

Nice man, glad to hear another happy result of using the canbus!! If you use your vanity lights (the ones in the visors) very often and don't want them to come on dim, then you will want canbus ones for them as well!! I didn't care so I left the regular LED's in there and when I use then I turn on one of the maplights with the canbus and they go full bright!

jESse

i like cheese
Reaction score
i love randomly coming across answers for stuff i wondered about but didn't ask. lol. i just swapped to led's last weekend and was lost on the dim thing too.

OP
OP
TOWRIGG

TOWRIGG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol @ JESse....i love this sight...just when you think youre stuck on something.....boom somebody else has been through it and solved it...
Rivieraracing hit it right on the head with the canbus led's solution....and to think for $3 it solved a problem that wouldve drove me nuts...especially after spending $125 on the entire interior and finding out i have an issue...

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Nice man, glad to hear another happy result of using the canbus!! If you use your vanity lights (the ones in the visors) very often and don't want them to come on dim, then you will want canbus ones for them as well!! I didn't care so I left the regular LED's in there and when I use then I turn on one of the maplights with the canbus and they go full bright!

i do wanna do the vanity lights just havent messed with them yet to see what bulb they are...or how to get at them...

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol @ JESse....i love this sight...just when you think youre stuck on something.....boom somebody else has been through it and solved it...
Rivieraracing hit it right on the head with the canbus led's solution....and to think for $3 it solved a problem that wouldve drove me nuts...especially after spending $125 on the entire interior and finding out i have an issue...

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

i do wanna do the vanity lights just havent messed with them yet to see what bulb they are...or how to get at them...

I can't take the credit for the canbus idea, that was 05nali's idea when we were trying to figure out it all!! If you want an interesting read, check this thread out!! It will show you the ideas and fixes we came up with to solve this problem!! Talk about a train wreck!! lol

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34369&page=22