matching factory tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaddyJackson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im the head installer for Tintmasters Motorsports in Grand Forks, N.D. We must tint sum 20-30 sets of front rolldowns a month at $100 a set. Some of u guys say $100 is to much and i would agree if the windows were to be simply tinted in the vehicle. We remove all windows to be tinted which makes for a superior factory look. We charge $100because of the labor rate(2 hrs start to finish.) Oh...and for those of you still wondering....factory gm, ford, dodge and other trucks/suvs are factory tempered at 18%To match the fronts is difficult because the glass is not 100% light transmitting. We use 3M 20% to "match" the rears, which in the end works out to match almost perfect considering the 4-6% light blockage, on the front rolldowns, caused by the shatter resistant layer of film baked into the factory glass. Sorry to ramble on....all in all i would recommend 20% on the fronts to match the rears of the vehicle. Hope this helps anyone still beating themselves up on what % to go with. Later

tv559

Reaction score
I pay $60 for the front windows with lifetime warranty and the guy usually finishes in 20-30 Minutes any longer than that then there proly taking breaks lol

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
32% on top of the factory 18% dropped the rears down to 8%

i put 20% on the front but it actually meters out at 15% - wish i had gone a little darker on the front

coles1189

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used to have 20% on my silverado and it matched perfect
Was only $50 to install
Try to work with different shops on prices and theyll normaly go for it

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
coles sounds right, 20% should make it match pretty damn close....

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tell them 20 and you should be spot on. in my experience, tint always meters darker than what you ask for anyway. i had 20 put on my fronts and they meter out at 15%.

jESse

i like cheese
Reaction score
i got 15% on mine. you can only tell its slightly slightly darker from inside if you really stare at it. paid $80

T-Giv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys keep in mind with the tint two things: A) The factory "tint" is actually privacy glass from GM. The windows are dipped in a substance for that smoked look. That is not actual tint sheets. You can't scratch it like you can tint. B) When matching the front two windows consider how much light that windshield is going to let into the front of the truck. In order for them to match as closely as possible they need to be slightly darker than the factory smoked glass. The smoked glass is right near 18% in tint so the best match you will get is 15%. Just my .02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greene9525