Mevotech TTX update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it leaking?
@Doubeleive It's leaking a little bit but the movement in the steering just ain't what it used to be and I'm getting a lot of clunking so I figured it's time to do the rack and that coupling joint that connects the steering shaft to the rack

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive It's leaking a little bit but the movement in the steering just ain't what it used to be and I'm getting a lot of clunking so I figured it's time to do the rack and that coupling joint that connects the steering shaft to the rack
New oem ones are kinda pricey, and from what I have heard the remaned ones can be hit n miss
whenever I have had a issue with one I have just grabbed a used one from the junkyard that had no visible leaks
the steering knuckle I see aftermarket ones for around $80 all day long a whole new oem one is like $450

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the upper steering shaft has been known to "clunk" but that was on the gmt800's, supposedly they new design shouldn't clunk.
the previous fix was to shove some fresh grease in it and that would work for a while then it would start clunking again, then they came out with 2 more designs and dam things would still clunk

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive The clunk seems to be related to body roll but there is no sway bar attached, the upper and lower control arms have been replaced, and the steering rack is bolted down tight.

I suspect the problem is the shaft within the rack is becoming loose and knocking around or body mount? I don’t live in a crusty area so rubber seems to live long where I’m at.

On a positive note the new balls joints helped a lot with the ride. Before I felt every bump on the road and got a lot of feedback in the steering wheel. Now the steering feels heavier but much more sturdy.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive The clunk seems to be related to body roll but there is no sway bar attached, the upper and lower control arms have been replaced, and the steering rack is bolted down tight.

I suspect the problem is the shaft within the rack is becoming loose and knocking around or body mount? I don’t live in a crusty area so rubber seems to live long where I’m at.

On a positive note the new balls joints helped a lot with the ride. Before I felt every bump on the road and got a lot of feedback in the steering wheel. Now the steering feels heavier but much more sturdy.
hard to say without hearing it/feeling it, mine will clunk going in & out of the driveway usually after it has rained or when the seasons change, all my gm's have done it. sometimes lubing the sway bar bushings resolves it but not always. I have mostly given up on trying to figure it out lol. all summer it's fine, dead quiet

waveryd

Reaction score
Installing my Mevotech TTX lower control arms today, just installed their upper control arms like a month ago and the boot it already coming apart.

View attachment 434316

View attachment 434315
I don't like to see that as I just did a complete front end rebuild of my 2014 PPV with all TTX parts. It is an on-road vehicle only so hopefully I will have better results. If not I guess I will test the lifetime warranty.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working through Mevotech warranty claim currently will update. Might just be bad quality control because the other side is perfect

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working through Mevotech warranty claim currently will update. Might just be bad quality control because the other side is perfect
I just replaced my front tie rods with Mevotech and one of the packages was missing the bolts, cotter pin and zerk fitting. When I contacted Mevotech they told me to go out and buy the missing parts! Not the point!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my front tie rods with Mevotech and one of the packages was missing the bolts, cotter pin and zerk fitting. When I contacted Mevotech they told me to go out and buy the missing parts! Not the point!!
wow, even some of the low-life company's out there will at least mail you missing parts with proof of purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoeinOrangecounty