Mikeyss Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have slacked on pics of my new headlights, but for good reason. As I was returning home from PA back to CO, I noticed my oil pressure kept creeping lower and lower. After I got off of the highway, the oil pressure at idle dropped to under 20 psi. I got home, and after I unpacked and parked, I got 'low oil pressure stop engine' warning. I figured it was just a faulty sensor again, so I replaced it. The oil pressure stayed at 0! So I pulled the oil filter, and it was full with no metal. I put a new filter on, but did not put any oil in the new filter so verify no oil pressure. The new filter stayed bone dry after I started the engine, so I've verified there is no oil pressure. I'm assuming I have a bad oil pump, but this engine was built about 3 years ago. The oil pump was new but a factory unit. I can't think of anything that would cause this except the oil pump.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have slacked on pics of my new headlights, but for good reason. As I was returning home from PA back to CO, I noticed my oil pressure kept creeping lower and lower. After I got off of the highway, the oil pressure at idle dropped to under 20 psi. I got home, and after I unpacked and parked, I got 'low oil pressure stop engine' warning. I figured it was just a faulty sensor again, so I replaced it. The oil pressure stayed at 0! So I pulled the oil filter, and it was full with no metal. I put a new filter on, but did not put any oil in the new filter so verify no oil pressure. The new filter stayed bone dry after I started the engine, so I've verified there is no oil pressure. I'm assuming I have a bad oil pump, but this engine was built about 3 years ago. The oil pump was new but a factory unit. I can't think of anything that would cause this except the oil pump.
dumb question...but you did make sure there is oil in it ?
if the oil pump was broken it would probably be making noise, cause they are metal gears. pickup tube blocked or fell out of pump maybe?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Cracked or possibly broken o ring on the pick up? Anything is possible. Had the same exact issue with my van. Oil pressure would go to 0, but never heard any knocking or tapping. It had an aftermarket Melling HV oil pump in it. I also thought it was the op sensor, so I changed it twice with oem. Stayed at 0. I never figured it out, but I drove it like that for a year or 2 with no bad results.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dumb question...but you did make sure there is oil in it ?
if the oil pump was broken it would probably be making noise, cause they are metal gears. pickup tube blocked or fell out of pump maybe?
That was the first thing I checked, and the oil level is almost at the full mark. There are no odd noises coming from the engine, that's why at first I thought it was just another faulty oil pressure sensor like the last time this happened. Even with the new oil filter on and no oil pumped into it, there isn't any bad clanking noises.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cracked or possibly broken o ring on the pick up? Anything is possible. Had the same exact issue with my van. Oil pressure would go to 0, but never heard any knocking or tapping. It had an aftermarket Melling HV oil pump in it. I also thought it was the op sensor, so I changed it twice with oem. Stayed at 0. I never figured it out, but I drove it like that for a year or 2 with no bad results.
I'm gonna pull the timing cover and oil pump this weekend. I guess I'll also pull the oil pan to see the pickup screen too. I spent about $10K on this engine, so I better go over everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimxms