Mikeyss Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm gonna pull the timing cover and oil pump this weekend. I guess I'll also pull the oil pan to see the pickup screen too. I spent about $10K on this engine, so I better go over everything.
Let us know what you find. I'm definitely curious about what happened. Hopefully it's nothing too bad and easily fixed. Fingers crossed @mikeyss.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the front of the engine pulled apart, but not the oil pan yet. I can't remove the oil pump yet because of the pick up tube bolt, but I wanted to make sure I'm having pump issues so I pulled the pump cover. With my pick, I felt the relief valve open and there are scoring marks on the gear and the cover.

IMG20240922152827.jpg
IMG20240922152833.jpg
IMG20240922152645.jpg
IMG20240922152904.jpg

When I pulled the cover, the gear seemed stuck to it and I had to knock it free.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I got the front of the engine pulled apart, but not the oil pan yet. I can't remove the oil pump yet because of the pick up tube bolt, but I wanted to make sure I'm having pump issues so I pulled the pump cover. With my pick, I felt the relief valve open and there are scoring marks on the gear and the cover.

View attachment 438861
View attachment 438862
View attachment 438863
View attachment 438864

When I pulled the cover, the gear seemed stuck to it and I had to knock it free.
So what do you think it could be.?

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what do you think it could be.?
I think I got a bad oil pump. When I was building this engine, I ordered things from rockauto, but at the time I didn't pay attention to their 'gold' line and thought I bought genuine GM parts. I'm thinking I bought an inferior pump.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Curious now. I stated I also had a similar issue with my 4.8 Express van. I had a Melling HV pump installed. So you think it mightve not been pumping oil to the top end? Or at all(yours)? Strange there wasn't any knocking coming from it......Still going to pull your oil pan?

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious now. I stated I also had a similar issue with my 4.8 Express van. I had a Melling HV pump installed. So you think it mightve not been pumping oil to the top end? Or at all(yours)? Strange there wasn't any knocking coming from it......Still going to pull your oil pan?
Yeah, I'm going to pull the pan for sure. I'm almost certain it's the oil pump, because the last test I did was put a new empty oil filter on and started the engine. The new oil filter didn't get a drop of oil in it, and that's why I believe the pump is at fault. The pan will be pulled off this week, but I'm not as young as I used to be, so it takes me longer. This just gives me a reason to drive the G8 more ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V6wells