Model Year Differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sancho

Reaction score
I am considering picking up a Tahoe, not sure of body style yet. ( I like both this and the next gen, but the wife isn't sold on picking up an older vehicle.) Were there any changes made throughout the years that would make certain years more desirable th an others. Also, how can you tell the difference between the 5.3 and 4.8 motor, is it obvious when looking under the hood, or am I to take the seller's word for it, short of decoding the VIN?

angel.arteaga

Reaction score
Some of the 03-06 changed the top area of the rear lift gate door, thats one thing to consider.

Also it is up to your liking as far as body cleanness, some come with factory fender flares which look better in my opinion, other come without them, some will not have the factory black and chrome side moldings on the door becuase people just took them off, some will come with a simple factory roof rack, other will have the roof rack plus the factory cross rails, or the Z71 roof rack.

Just a few things to consider.

OP
OP
Sancho

Sancho

Reaction score
A gen III or IV 5.7 would be nice, but I think I'll stick with what GM decided to put in at Arlington, or wherever else these may have been built. This will be the wife's family car, I have other rides I can do swaps in. Plus I'm in CA and have no desire to challenge the BS smog police more than I already do with my other ride.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Also it is up to your liking as far as body cleanness, some come with factory fender flares which look better in my opinion, other come without them, some will not have the factory black and chrome side moldings on the door becuase people just took them off, some will come with a simple factory roof rack, other will have the roof rack plus the factory cross rails, or the Z71 roof rack.

Just a few things to consider.

Yes, but AFAIK, these are trim options that you may or may not get throughout the entire lineup. I'm more interested in things that changed after a certain year, like the interior was updated, or the transmission or transfer case or brakes after a certain year were re-disigned.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go with an NBS be sure to get an 03+ and avoid the 00-02. A lot changed interior-wise in 03 (for the better). 1.5 din in 00-02 versus double din in 03+ so you can fit a double din flush mount nav. The center console and cup holder area along with the dash got a huge update. 03+ also has way better leather seats. I owned an 01 and envied the 03+ people :)

OP
OP
Sancho

Sancho

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the info. I really think the wife wants an '07 up, but I've always liked these, so I might just get both and drive this one myself. Then I can keep my '96 Impala SS in the garage with my '72 C-10 where it belongs. The wife is driving a '00 Durango right now I'd really like to see disappear, but unfortunately David Copperfield won't return my calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968