Mounting a Roof Basket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atothez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am really hoping I can get some help with this question. I have recently become the proud owner of a 2005 Z-71 suburban and since I own this vehicle outright I will be getting rid of my 2012 FJ Cruiser (mostly because there is no way I am going to lug around kids in a 2 door vehicle).

My FJ had a sweet low profile Baja Rack http://www.bajarack.com/fj-low-profile - It has a full mesh floor and is 48 wide by 82 long so it should fit my suburban well.
Now the trick is how do I mount it? I have come up with some possible options:

1) Have a welder make me custom mount bracket – How much do you think this will cost?
2) Modify the SmittyBuilt defender mounts for the Z-71 rack http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=5
3) Try to secure it to the current Crossbars? – Probably the worst option

What do you guys think? How would you get this done on your truck?
Rack Weighs 65 pounds

middelgriff1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use a u-bolt setup (the sqaure corner ones) with short bolts and wingnuts to hold it to the existing rack.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use a u-bolt setup (the sqaure corner ones) with short bolts and wingnuts to hold it to the existing rack.

Damn! thats a good idea. Ive been contemplating the same thing for awhile cause I've been working on a custom basket myself. Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
A

atothez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Damn! thats a good idea. Ive been contemplating the same thing for awhile cause I've been working on a custom basket myself. Thanks for the tip!

You don't by any chance feel like fabricating some roof brackets to replace the old roof rack that just give a level platform do you? I just think direct mount would look the best but if all else fails (or becomes financially unfeasible) I will go the U-Bolt method

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't by any chance feel like fabricating some roof brackets to replace the old roof rack that just give a level platform do you? I just think direct mount would look the best but if all else fails (or becomes financially unfeasible) I will go the U-Bolt method
I may end up trying to make some of my own at some point depending on how my rack comes out. If I don't like the look or fitment I might see if I can find a way to make some custom brackets. If that is the case I can dig up this thread and PM you. Keep in mind I have an 01 tahoe and my existing rack might be slightly different than the one on your burb

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
I may end up trying to make some of my own at some point depending on how my rack comes out. If I don't like the look or fitment I might see if I can find a way to make some custom brackets. If that is the case I can dig up this thread and PM you. Keep in mind I have an 01 tahoe and my existing rack might be slightly different than the one on your burb

i know this is totally off topic, but how did you mount your light bar behind the grille? i've got one almost the same length and was planning on the doing the same, i've already got a 52" on the roof. nice truck by the way!

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know this is totally off topic, but how did you mount your light bar behind the grille? i've got one almost the same length and was planning on the doing the same, i've already got a 52" on the roof. nice truck by the way!
There are some metal flanges attached to the radiator mounts at approximately the position of the light bar. The mounts on the light bar are adjustable laterally and can swivel 180° to adjust the angle. I just slid the mounts to match the width of the radiator mounts and angled them pointing backwards and just bolted it on. It's an extremely solid mounting option. When I get my roof rack finished and attached, I'm going to take the lights on the roof and make them rear facing and then throw a 50" bar up there. TBH, the 20" doesn't light up the trail as much as I'd like, hence the 30". But now, all the beams are pretty floody. That's why I'm going with a 50" 8° spot on the roof. I want to be able to see further up ahead and I'd rather stick with LEDs than go with HID bulbs. LEDs are far more efficient and the lifetime is practically infinite.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

What?

OP
OP
A

atothez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
[/COLOR]
What?[/QUOTE]

Could not figure out how to delet the post. Sorry

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
The light bar I have doesn't have the adjustable mounts. Guess I'll have to fab something up. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365

Latest posts