My '04 Hoe is AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04 TAHOE

Reaction score
Does anyone know if taking the front driveshaft out will result in better gas milage or will it mess up the computer as far as sending out torque?
Thanks Yo!:)

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if taking the front driveshaft out will result in better gas milage or will it mess up the computer as far as sending out torque?
Thanks Yo!:)

I can't tell you for sure but I can't imagine it would do you a bit of good. Removing the front driveshaft in an AWD isn't going to tell the transfer case to stop trying to spin the front driveshaft. I would think something in the computer would not like it. The difference in mileage between my 03 AWD denali and my 04 4wd yukon in 2hi is only about 1/2 a mile to the gallon

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would kill your AWD transfer case. I think they are mechnical or hydraulic, not electrical.

Plus you'd still have all the extra rotating mass in the front axle to reduce your MPG.

Not cost effective to convert to 2wd, either.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has an 04 Silverado ss awd and he wanted to remove his front shaft too.

A bunch of guys over at silveradoss.com said that it wasn`t a good idea. They said it would be ok to take it out for a short time if he wanted to put it on a dyno if he couldn`t locate a four wheel dyno. They never explain exactly why you shouldn`t do it, they just say not to.

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These things aren't ever going to get amazing gas mileage anyway. I'm pretty happy that my Denali XL AWD gets between 16-19 highway. Of course it all depends on wind lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts