My Lowering Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Wow...this is very cool. You guys gave me some GREAT feedback and you did it politely. Thank you for being constructive and not being jerks. :)

Since the truck rides as good as it does and performs as well as it does I'm hard pressed to put larger tires *or* rims on it. The two biggest reasons are performance and ride height. The height is perfect...I don't want it any higher. The performance aspect is rotating mass. These enkei rims weigh 25.9 pounds and the tires weigh 29 pounds...that's almost 55 pounds per wheel. I doubt I'd notice an increase to a 34 pound tire (255/55R18) tire, but I don't want to gain any additional rotational mass if I don't need to.

now on to the responses...

Your gaps look stock..
That takes the purpose of lowering away for me. All you're accomplishing is no clearance. Your wheels and tires are much too small for my taste.
IMO

You have a different ranking of "look cool" than I do...and there's nothing wrong with your preference...it's just different than mine. :) If I went with a bigger tire/rim combo then the gap wouldn't be there...but this thing sits PERFECT...I love how low it is and how it rides and I am very hesitant to that.

Wheels and tire combination looks horrible.

Sorry that's the truth.

Also, you cut the stock rear springs?

Good feedback...thank you. Hell yes I cut the rear springs! ;) I cut them to see how they would ride. The ride wasn't as bad as a set of progressive rate springs that I cut, but it was still too rough for me. This is why I ordered a set of Tony's 6" drop springs to replace the stock springs that I cut.

Stance would be perfect with a different tire/wheel combo. Both wheels and tires are too small all the way around.

The common response seems to be that the tire/wheel combo is too small. To be honest, you all have confirmed what I think when I look at it. The tires I'm running are 27" tall. When they wear out I may consider a set that are 29" tall...which would take up another inch of gap between the fender and the tire...the problem for me with this is that it'll also raise the truck an inch too...since I love the way the truck sits it's going to be tough to have it raised any.

ha! no bashing intended. Bigger tires would definitely help out if he wants to keep the rims. I do love how low it is.

You and I BOTH love how low it is. :) I absolutely am falling in love with the way it sits and rides.

Meatier tires would help in filling in the gap, but other than that looks good.

I think it looks good too. It's nice to know I'm not completely off my rocker.

Needs 20's at a minimum but would look better with 2's since you are spending all kinds of monies on suspension. Run something like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-OEM-CHEV..._Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item35cdc0407f&vxp=mtr

Your current wheels detract from your vehicle's looks.....

Those rims would look nice. Cost is keeping me from getting new rims and tires. By the time I get a new set of 20" rims and tires shipped I'm looking at somewhere between $1300-$1600 depending upon where I shop. I need a money tree! ;)

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally someone who cares about rotating mass. It has a multiplication factor of 1.5 I think.

So 34 lbs actually weighs 51 pounds when moving. Also the heavier part of the wheel is the outer rim....... the more far away from the center the worse the multiplication factor.

So a 34 pound 16 inch wheel is better than a 34 pound 20 inch wheel.

Still after all this, 20-22s look mo betta on a SUV. After all these are not corvettes and street trucks need baller status. :)

Last edited:

mrmill

Reaction score
looks good, it would be better with bigger wheels. but we don't have your wallet so, in due time.

gnilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks nice if you can stand the ride. I would go with a modest increase in tire diameter when your current ones wear out and leave it at that. I think you will find that the improved ride from the taller sidewall offsets the slightly higher stance nicely. In fact you may even find if "looks" like it sits lower because the wheel wells are filled.

OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Finally someone who cares about rotating mass. It has a multiplication factor of 1.5 I think.

So 34 lbs actually weighs 51 pounds when moving. Also the heavier part of the wheel is the outer rim....... the more far away from the center the worse the multiplication factor.

So a 34 pound 16 inch wheel is better than a 34 pound 20 inch wheel.

Hell yes I care about rotating mass!!! You're spot-on as far as the larger diameter too. :)

Still after all this, 20-22s look mo betta on a SUV. After all these are not corvettes and street trucks need baller status. :)

Yes, this is not a corvette...I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I want get the best acceleration, braking, and handling that my budget and this 4800+ pound beast can provide. :)

Looks nice if you can stand the ride. I would go with a modest increase in tire diameter when your current ones wear out and leave it at that. I think you will find that the improved ride from the taller sidewall offsets the slightly higher stance nicely. In fact you may even find if "looks" like it sits lower because the wheel wells are filled.

Believe it or not, the ride is pretty good. I just switched from djm 3" springs in the rear to Tony's 6" drop springs. I'm highly critical of all mods I do to my truck, so the jury is still out, but so far they're VERY comfortable and level the rear with the front. I think I've gotten the suspension tuned right where it should be...and now that I'm this low I don't want to raise it any with larger tires, even if it's only an inch.

As far as the gap goes, I'm planning a small body drop next. If that doesn't get me the look I'm aiming for then I'm going to strongly consider slightly larger diameter tires (29" versus my current 27"). :)

nickbaldwin86

Reaction score
It is sporty...looks and I am sure ride. You could do number of things to make it look even more sporty... color matching etc... a lot of sport trucks/suvs have "smaller" wheels and tires for performance reasons.
I am not for the big rims... I just sold the 20x10s that came on my XL and bought a set of fac17s and I am so much happier with the ride, performance and looks, I know i could find a set of 20 or 22s that would look great, but I doubt the ride and performance will be the same as it is now.

OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
It is sporty...looks and I am sure ride. You could do number of things to make it look even more sporty... color matching etc... a lot of sport trucks/suvs have "smaller" wheels and tires for performance reasons.
I am not for the big rims... I just sold the 20x10s that came on my XL and bought a set of fac17s and I am so much happier with the ride, performance and looks, I know i could find a set of 20 or 22s that would look great, but I doubt the ride and performance will be the same as it is now.

Us guys who aren't for big rims gotta stick together. :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wbill99hoe