Need Advice - 2018 Yukon Denali - needs new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should name and shame that dealership.
$22k for a motor? It better be a built. high hp 427ci going in lol

Realistically, should be like $8k for a motor.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$22k will get you a 2015 or 2016 Denali with the whole rest of the car attached to the engine. Like others have said this dealership, or service advisor, is working to fleece you.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We drove about 2 hours and at the end of our trip heard a winding or squeaking sound coming from the front of the car. At that point we were doing about 30-35 mph with in town. Got to my daughter's house had it idling tried to listen for the noise with the hood open and heard nothing. The car sat for a few hours and then we got back in it and within about 10 minutes I heard a quick squeak, air conditioner went off and lost complete power to the vehicle. When I mean power, I mean driving, I hit the accelerator and nothing happened. For a few minutes of us being stranded on the side of the road, the electrical system still worked, until it didn't, and the battery went dead. My initial thoughts were that it's the alternator that went, although no dashboard lights came on at all. We had it towed to the local Chevy dealer in Wilmington North Carolina and they are telling me that it needs a new motor, to the tune of $22,000. I asked for codes and they're still trying to gather those for me because the technician had left early for the day.

I had a few questions for him specifically how a mechanical engine failure would have drained the battery so fast and not one engine light came on. There was no knocking no dinging no smoke no overheating no smells.... nothing. Something doesn't seem right to me. I'd also add that we just had the hundred thousand mile maintenance done on it so we were expecting this to be clear sailing for the next few years. Anybody have any suggestions or thoughts? We are in Cary North Carolina right outside Raleigh if it helps.
Either you are not providing the additional information the service advisor told you or showed you or your telling a story, a new engine is not $22k I can only assume that is a typo, and if not post up the paperwork they gave you. Nobody just pulls a number out of there hat. Especially at a dealer

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Either you are not providing the additional information the service advisor told you or showed you or your telling a story, a new engine is not $22k I can only assume that is a typo, and if not post up the paperwork they gave you. Nobody just pulls a number out of there hat. Especially at a dealer
Exactly why I was asking for a $22k breakdown. The whole story just seems to not be there. I do not doubt that the OP is in a pickle but I just think there is more to this. Hell, I just found out that AAA is now involved. I would want a complete detailed explanation of what they are offering you for $22k. I recently was involved with my neighbor and replacing his engine with a crate Ford engine and a very reputable local transmission shop rebuild with all the new bells and whistles. The engine from the dealer was $5798 and with my military discount was $5218. It was for a 2006 F150 and is a 5.4. Retail pricing, in the shop, would have been near $8k to $8500, just for engine.

With the engine and transmission and all the additional new parts like radiator, condenser, accumulator, transmission cooler. lines, hoses, new throttle body, all 4 oxygen sensors, mounts, belts, tensioners, idlers, reman alternator, knock sensors, camshaft and crankshaft sensors, thermostat and housing, MAF, Cannister purge valve, fuel filter and regulator, water pump, injectors, fan clutch and blade and all fluids and labor, the bill was close to $17k.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I was asking for a $22k breakdown. The whole story just seems to not be there. I do not doubt that the OP is in a pickle but I just think there is more to this. Hell, I just found out that AAA is now involved. I would want a complete detailed explanation of what they are offering you for $22k. I recently was involved with my neighbor and replacing his engine with a crate Ford engine and a very reputable local transmission shop rebuild with all the new bells and whistles. The engine from the dealer was $5798 and with my military discount was $5218. It was for a 2006 F150 and is a 5.4. Retail pricing, in the shop, would have been near $8k to $8500, just for engine.

With the engine and transmission and all the additional new parts like radiator, condenser, accumulator, transmission cooler. lines, hoses, new throttle body, all 4 oxygen sensors, mounts, belts, tensioners, idlers, reman alternator, knock sensors, camshaft and crankshaft sensors, thermostat and housing, MAF, Cannister purge valve, fuel filter and regulator, water pump, injectors, fan clutch and blade and all fluids and labor, the bill was close to $17k.
that doesn't csound right either, a new motor comes with everything except the external bolt on stuff, why does a new motor need a camshaft and crankshaft sensors? injectors? knock sensors? that makes no sense. I had a new l94 put in the denali new crate motor, new water pump. $9,999 out the door w/3yr 100k warranty

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL 22K? LT4 Conversion? 18 Denali is 6.2 L86. Complete crate from GM is $7500 retail + R&R at Dealer is $3K-4K....so 10-11.5K....22K? Major mark up. And that will have DOD....more LOL.

I like the guys in Washington, rebuilt 6.2 no DOD......$6100 but you need to find a shop to install.
or
Michigan

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
that doesn't csound right either, a new motor comes with everything except the external bolt on stuff, why does a new motor need a camshaft and crankshaft sensors? injectors? knock sensors? that makes no sense. I had a new l94 put in the denali new crate motor, new water pump. $9,999 out the door w/3yr 100k warranty
I should have been more detailed. I was just typing the list here off of the RA list I had. The engine DID come with a water pump, thermostat and seal and the cam sensors but no crank sensor. The rest of the list is correct and did not come with engine.

OP
OP
K

KratsYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice, you're right. I was sitting around and decided to fabricate a story, join this forum looking for advice and respond to the people who ARE in fact responding in good faith with more lies....... why did you bother to post this reply to me? I'm looking for some guidance, maybe you can just move on to another thread and see if your Spidey scenes can pick out more fabricated stories. To be clear, the details I've shared are exactly what I've been told. $22k for a new engine, I couldn't believe what I heard, and in by moment of silence, offer to set me up with the sales department as an option. Have a great day!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, you're right. I was sitting around and decided to fabricate a story, join this forum looking for advice and respond to the people who ARE in fact responding in good faith with more lies....... why did you bother to post this reply to me? I'm looking for some guidance, maybe you can just move on to another thread and see if your Spidey scenes can pick out more fabricated stories. To be clear, the details I've shared are exactly what I've been told. $22k for a new engine, I couldn't believe what I heard, and in by moment of silence, offer to set me up with the sales department as an option. Have a great day!!
regardless...... you obvisously have more details that are not being shared
if they gave you a price then it must also have came with paperwork detailing what is and what is not included.
as such, you might look it over and see what part is noted as "recomended", with your personal knowledge of the vehicle of what has been and not been serviced or maintained I would guess that some things could be excluded/re-used.
you come at us with "it needs a new engine" and no further details. so what the heck happened? did it eat the cam? blow a rod thru the block? stuck lifter?
there are many things the dealer will not want to repair or will charge a higher price than a regular shop for something that could "maybe" be repaired for less.
usually unless they found something catastrophic pretty easily then a teardown is in order.
on top of that "some" things are negotiable, you just have to ask
the story of it got towed to the dealer, they said it needs a new engine for $22k, there closing for the day and told me to go kick rocks and see sales seems lacking

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when a vehicle goes to the service department and the technician reports to the advisor there are "notes" included, that technician isn't going to put
"ya it's f-ked, $22k" that just doesn't happen.
you can post pictures and redact any personal or vin information easily it's the little box above with the mountains in it. (insert image)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samzigrossi