Need advice...to buy or walk away. Pictures included

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rear end looks like its leaking. Get that resolved. A change of fluid and a new gasket that should be all it needs. As for the surface rust not uncommon. If the truck runs good and you had it all checked out and you don't see any BODY rust (panels, fenders, doors) then i would say the only thing you need is some time cleaning the undercarriage. A wired brush and some patience is what you will need. After its cleaned up spray it with some POR15 undercoat a little expensive but well worth it. I just ordered four cans of undercoat to do my Tahoe. Also search on google there is a lot of good info on rust, also you tube. Maybe seeing it might help you make a decision. Good luck.
http://www.por15.com/

OP
OP
Brewcity

Brewcity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rear end looks like its leaking. Get that resolved. A change of fluid and a new gasket that should be all it needs. As for the surface rust not uncommon. If the truck runs good and you had it all checked out and you don't see any BODY rust (panels, fenders, doors) then i would say the only thing you need is some time cleaning the undercarriage. A wired brush and some patience is what you will need. After its cleaned up spray it with some POR15 undercoat a little expensive but well worth it. I just ordered four cans of undercoat to do my Tahoe. Also search on google there is a lot of good info on rust, also you tube. Maybe seeing it might help you make a decision. Good luck.
http://www.por15.com/

Thanks SO much for the help...I did notice the leak.
Everything else is in great condition as far as the body and mechanics.
So...this definitely puts my mind at ease.
Thanks a lot!

kelly1

Reaction score
That looks like the undercarriage of 100% of the vehicles I've ever seen that are driven daily and 15 years old or newer. It's very clean with common surface rust on parts (rearend and frame) that would take many many more years to rust out with that little surface rust on them. A little scrubbing and some paint and it will look great. Good luck with the purchase!!

OP
OP
Brewcity

Brewcity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like the undercarriage of 100% of the vehicles I've ever seen that are driven daily and 15 years old or newer. It's very clean with common surface rust on parts (rearend and frame) that would take many many more years to rust out with that little surface rust on them. A little scrubbing and some paint and it will look great. Good luck with the purchase!!

OK...thanks for putting my mind at ease. Glad to hear its clean...I dont know much about these trucks, but with all of your help, I will soon!
I just get a little freaked when I see rust...and I am pretty used to it here in Wisconsin.
Thanks to all of you who helped. It really cleared my mind. Cant wait to get her!
Take care!

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's not bad looking at all, my 95 is about the same just has some minor surface rust on the frame and the floors are solid, like everyone else said besides the rear end leak it looks pretty clean

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the rust....get the rust off with a grinder and sanding disc and treat it with Por15. Instead of spending a few hundred bucks on powdercoating you're out $100 max and you should be good to go for a very long time :waytogo:

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A common place to look for rust on these trucks is under the doors.
Pull back the rubber seal on the inside bottom of the door and look there.
Tbruz

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Man good thing I don't live in the north... No rust on my frame:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmarRa