Need Guidance Please - Preparing for New Travel Trailer - Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the feedback and guidance. I do have an integrated trailer brake controller as part of the tow package. We've received best and final from dealer and are going to sleep on it for a few days. We feel like we've done our due diligence, but are still slightly concerned about the load. Unfortunately, we're pretty much in love with the floorplan, fit and finish and decor of this specific model, so downsizing or looking at other models, doesn't appeal to us at the moment.
Then run it and learn its limitations and work with that. I reckon you'll be fine but consider that since you are towing near maximums, things will wear out sooner and definitely change the fluids at about 1/2 the interval of the severe service schedule when towing regularly.

I have Gen IV 6.2 engines in my pickups and they can pull 10K pounds with ease and were regularly used to rescue people stuck in the mud/sand. Yours with more power and better gearing is even more capable.

BacDoc

Reaction score
jforb is correct - look for a bigger tow vehicle or a smaller trailer. Also you should realize that trailers tow better with at least 10% of the load as tongue weight. Sure you can tow with less but the smoother ride depends on balance of weight and the more you are at the maximum limit the more balance is important.

I trailer frequently and I was always told by smart experienced mechanics that you never want to tow at the max limit. Besides the safety issues the brakes and transmission will wear a lot faster. But I also change oil less than 5k miles too.

Choose wisely!

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
I swear by Blue Ox hitches. On the heavier side, but boy, do they make things so stable. I've towed 2 tt's behind 5 different vehicles. Here is our Sundance 241bh behind our XL. The trailer has a GVWR of 7500lbs(2200 lbs of cargo) but I'm pretty sure we don't exceed 6500lbs most of the time.

img_6307-jpeg.jpg

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
7900-6295= 1605lbs of available weight..

You have to include all passengers (including the driver)
Luggage
Food
Pets
Laptops
Water in ALL holding tanks
Propane tanks
etc..

Hate to say it, I am with @jforb here.

Lets say its for you, your wife, and 2 kids. You weigh 220, your wife weighs 170, your kids weigh 100 lbs each. Then you have 50 gallons in your water tank (thats 415lbs), a couple laptops (20lbs), food (100lbs including canned goods, fridge goods, dry goods), 50 lbs per person is misc, spare tire 35lbs, 2 propane tanke (60 lbs)

Thats 1420 of your 1605 lbs.. and I am sure there is stuff that I have not included in the math here.
FYI, the campers dry weight usually factors in full propane tanks from the factory. Ours did, and after doing some research on a few RV forums, this appears to be the norm. Btw, I'm referring to the dry weight sticker that's located on the travel trailers door frame, not the mfg's web site.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waterwoman224