Need help deceiding on MagnaFlow or Flowmaster!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97GT

Reaction score
Hey all I've searched for information to find out which exhaust is better for me. I have heard flowmasters have a better sound, deeper growl than magnaflows, but mags perform and flow better. So its 50-50 right now for me. Right now I believe I have dual in dual out 2.25 pipes with a 50 series muffler. I really want to put true duals but I dint want to deal with changing things back and forth when I get it smogged. So what application should I go with? Im looking for a deep rich sound with a good growl when I step on it. should I change the pipe size? any info will help. Thnx all

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
im a magnaflow man. Its all up to you tho. We get these posts every day whos better.. Best thing to do is check out youtube tho and just search chevy vortec flowmaster or magnaflow.. theres sooo many videos up..

As to pipe size, 2 1/4 is plenty for now until you get going with engine mods. But i dont think stepping it to 2 1/2 right now is worth the hassle.

Even check out magnaflow and flowmasters website, they have clips on there as well..

another thing, if you want more sound, buy a set of longtubes and do the whole thing front to back the right way :waytogo:

OP
OP
97GT

97GT

Reaction score
thnx for info

Sounds good. So how much different of a sound do magnas give off when compared to flows? I've had flows on a few different vehicles cause they sound great. Just been thinking about trying something different. I have tried to watch a few videos but its hard to tell cause they dont do the mufflers justice. I was thinking bout some headers who should I look at?

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
ive only owned one flowmaster and that was on a ls1, too quiet for me tho

headers--- ******, pacesetter, the usual name brand stuff is fine. id recommend Ceramic coating tho.

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im doing a custom 3 inch exhaust. long tubes, 3 inch pipes, and a flowmaster 50 series delta flow, and a single tip in stock location. I have dual exhaust setup right now. I had a 14 inch magnaflow with an internal x pipe. IT WAS LOUD! The interior resonance was awful! i recently put on a flowmaster 50 series suv on it. it sounds GREAT compared to the magnaflow. I LOVE IT! and to be quite honest you cant really tell the difference in performance... I mean sure you might be able to if you had a a high performance engine and stuff like that.

OP
OP
97GT

97GT

Reaction score
so what magnas do u have and are they louder than lets say 40 series flows thats what im looking at. Also i'm looking at doing a motor swap in the near future, either 383s or ls1, cant deceide the best route

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Im doing a custom 3 inch exhaust. long tubes, 3 inch pipes, and a flowmaster 50 series delta flow, and a single tip in stock location. I have dual exhaust setup right now. I had a 14 inch magnaflow with an internal x pipe. IT WAS LOUD! The interior resonance was awful! i recently put on a flowmaster 50 series suv on it. it sounds GREAT compared to the magnaflow. I LOVE IT! and to be quite honest you cant really tell the difference in performance... I mean sure you might be able to if you had a a high performance engine and stuff like that.

i want more growl so not worried bout how loud it gets, just dont want it over the top annoying. Do hi flows cats do anything?

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Magnaflow and love it.

it is the 5x8x14 magnaflow dual 2 1/2 in and single 3" out with 3" pipe ran from the muffler to the tip and it is a 4" tip 12" long

Video
th_MVI_1500-1.jpg

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have true dual 40 series flows on my hoe and I love them. They are very loud and have a nice deep note that rips what you punch it. I personally dont have any resonance issues but I have read a lot of people that do. I will also say that my friend has magnaflow on his dodge ram and that thing sounds sick as hell also.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get different grades of both Magnaflows and Flowmasters so when comparing make sure you're comparing two of the like "grades". I've had Flowmasters for years and just recently went with a Magnaflow for the first time on the wife's burb. I like the sound of both to be honest with you. My '77 has 2 40 series flowmasters on it (and I've had 40 series on 3 other trucks in the past) and just LOVE the rumble and tone that comes with it. With that said, be prepared to have "drone" throughout the cabin of the vehicle. Personally, I like that and it's just part of it but some people don't. You'll run into the same thing with a loud enough Magnaflow, though.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
I've only had 1 magnaflow muffler in my experience
blizzardx23 had a flowmaster (don't know which series)

what I have come up with is magnaflow will amplify the sound of your engine therefore making it subtle at idle and have a nice sound on wot

flowmaster is one to shape the sound.
so in essence depending on the series it is making it louder or lower and shaping the sound

just my .02 I would go with magnaflow personally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T2003