Need help finding oil leak…..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Young Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an ‘07 Tahoe with an oil leak. I replaced my oil pan, but there’s one more leak. After investigating, I find that it’s leaking above the starter. I wasn’t in a position to remove the starter, so that’s as much as I know.

Based on this information can anyone give me a possible diagnosis, before I take it to a mechanic.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8080.jpeg
    IMG_8080.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8079.jpeg
    IMG_8079.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 7

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an ‘07 Tahoe with an oil leak. I replaced my oil pan, but there’s one more leak. After investigating, I find that it’s leaking above the starter. I wasn’t in a position to remove the starter, so that’s as much as I know.

Based on this information can anyone give me a possible diagnosis, before I take it to a mechanic.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a suspect list:
Rear main seal and/or cover gasket
Valve cover gasket
VLOM cover gasket
Oil pressure sensor
Crankshaft position sensor (behind starter in the block)

Driver's side:
Oil cooler plate gasket

OP
OP
Y

Young Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the dipstick tube o-ring, where it plugs into the block. Also, does your oil pan have the old-style oil level sensor threaded through the side of the oil pan, below the dipstick? Like this:

View attachment 436959
Thank you so much for replying!!

I checked where the dipstick enters and it’s dry. Also when I replaced the oil pan, the new one did not have an open hole for the low oil sensor.

OP
OP
Y

Young Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a suspect list:
Rear main seal and/or cover gasket
Valve cover gasket
VLOM cover gasket
Oil pressure sensor
Crankshaft position sensor (behind starter in the block)

Driver's side:
Oil cooler plate gasket
Ok, since their are 6 possibilities here, new question… Any idea how much a fair price would be for a mechanic to find the leak?

OP
OP
Y

Young Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the dipstick tube o-ring, where it plugs into the block. Also, does your oil pan have the old-style oil level sensor threaded through the side of the oil pan, below the dipstick? Like this:

View attachment 436959
Ok, since their are 6 possibilities here, new question…
Any idea how much a fair price would be for a mechanic to find the leak?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you replace the oil pan/gasket yourself? if so how come and did you put rtv in the corners?
I'm glad you mentioned that. Is it possible he didn't and that is where it is spewing out? Is that RTV point a weak spot? Can a "miracle oil seal fix" in a can wipe that RTV out? See so many posts about rear main seal leaks that are bone dry inside the bell housing inspection hole. But oil soaked on the outside.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my bet is the rear main seal. Dripping oil on the starter/starter bolts is a classic sign in my experience.

You can add dye to the engine oil and try to diagnose yourself. The leak is hard to find, usually looking at an angle through the flex plate holes you can spot it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24