Need help with folding headrest in 2nd row.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the 60/40 2nd row in my '03 Yuk, and when I fold the 60 side down, the damn head rest doesn't fold back like it should. I'm pretty sure it's a cabling problem. Anybody know how to fix it? Is there a write up on the routing for the cables?

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and I know there's already a cable issue down bottom. I suspect there is another issue somewhere between the base of the upper (backrest portion ) and the headrest. I was hoping that someone had dealt with this already, before I start dismantling the seat/upholstry.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

SoCal03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What did you figure out? I just bought an 03 Tahoe and have the same problem on the 60 side. My upper cable is in 1/2 so I know that's why the headrest is not releasing. Did you have to take the whole cover off the back portion of the seat to repair it all?

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's on the 60 portion also. I just cut the end off the cable (at the bottom) with some dykes, and used some wire strippers to strip off the insulation, and now I just use a pair of pliers to pull on the cable......Eventually I'll decide to replace the entire cable assembly, but this works great for now, and I hardly ever have to put the seats down anyway, so I'm okay with it like that. You can't see it or anything, so it's not like it's an eye sore, plus I carry my tools around in the back of the truck already, so it's hella conveient.

SoCal03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's what I tried, but there was NO play at all in my wire. Even though I have some seriously strong dykes too, I'm doing the "juggle" between letting the seat down and pulling the dykes. Is there some magic balance between how far everything has to move down before it finally unhooks?

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the head rest will release when the tension on the wire reaches a certain point. Can you get the seat-back down? Have you already cut the cable that travels up the back of the seat, to the headrest? If you have, you just need to yank that *****! ........but be aware that once you cut the cable, you have to use some wire strippers to get the insulation off, then you'll notice that the cable that's actually used to operate the system, is further insulated by cable. The operational cable is the core of the cable, not the cable that surrounds it. If you pull on that, you'll just get frustrated!

hefe510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just happened to me... Anyone buy a replacement cable? i figure i will cut the cable and strip it down, but i would like to replace eventually. Part # would be sweet. Thanks if anyone can look back for some info...

OP
OP
chip

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still strugglin with it. It hasn't become enough of an issue to look into. It would be nice if somebody just randomly posted up though. That's pretty much where I'm at with the whole thing right now. I'll post up (if no one else has already) when I find out either way.

hefe510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the update. Might have to bite the bullet and opener up....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pjoe1320