Need help with violent shaking of steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 99 4WD Tahoe has a nasty wheel shake that I can't seem to get rid of. The shake can come/go, but it's mostly present from 30+ MPH. When it starts my steering wheel shakes left/right very vigorously and gets worse as the speed increases.

I have replaced the pitman arm, idler arm and the inner/outer tie rods and sleeves.

Putting my winter tires/rims (completely different tires/rims) on it doesn't make a difference either.

Suggestions?

OP
OP
M

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how are the hubs?

Not sure how to check the hubs...
I had the hoe on a lift and had someone shake the wheels 'left to right'. I could feel something loose in the steering, but couldn't see what was causing it. My thought is that it's either the center link or the steering box....but not sure if there's something I'm mising.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think hubs are an issue but they are easily cheched by getting the wheels off the ground next grab the top and bottom of the tire and see if there is any play i.e bad hubs i dont think your center link could do this i doubt it i think it would have to be bent , these trucks will have a little play left to right just happens . i would vote for the steering box myself. comet might know this because ive never expierenced these symptoms myself

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Shake them again and have one or two others watch while you do otherwise use I dial gauge on the components and the problem will show itself.

OP
OP
M

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the hubs/bearings by grabbing the top & bottom of the tires, no movement/play there.

If this issue is the steering box, is there an adjustment or do you just replace it?

jeffro72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had one do that with 37'tires on it and put a new rancho Dual steering stabalizers on it and that fixed it!!!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Maybe all ur tires are rotted? U live ib the north right? If so them maybe because down here in the south our tires dont rot unless they are submerged in water for a long time or sun rotted. Maybe ur stabiluzer is going out tho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus