Need New TPMS Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad_idea

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon XL Denali. The battery died on one of the tire pressure sensors. I am looking to purchase a set of new sensors and install them myself, as the dealership wants $250 PER WHEEL! I am looking for recommendations on a good sensor. I see Rock Auto has genuine GM sensors for $48 each or Denso sensors for $28 each. Rock Auto also has several other choices, and I have seen the $25 set of 4 on Amazon. I don't want to do this job again in six months, so looking for a quality set. Recommendations?

I see I will then need to relearn the sensors, looks like this tool will do it: TPMS Relearn Tool I'm not a professional shop, just need to be able to change sensors and rotate tires. Will this tool do the job? Is there a better one available that will provide better functionality for a minimal increase in cost?

Thanks for the help all.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
To change sensors you have to dismount/breakdown the tire after letting air out. Get the GM sensors at RA, take them to your local trusted tire dealer and they can install and re-balance the tires and inspect tire wear while there. They can then activate/relearn the sensors and all is good. I do work all the time at my house but I leave the tire work to who has the equipment.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Be aware that the new sensors must be programmed initially, which sets the frequency, etc. to what the vehicle needs. This programming is different from setting the sensors' positions to the vehicle, which is what the tool does that you linked.

Autel has universal sensors that can be programmed to different frequencies, but must go through the initial programming to set them up. A programming tool like the Autel TS501 would be needed to initialize them. I think there might be places where you can purchase the sensors and they'll program them for you; might be worth searching for. The tire shop might program your new sensors, but you'd need to check with them. They may only program what you buy there.

This video shows a lot about doing the initial programming, but it goes somewhat long. You can search for others.

OP
OP
B

bad_idea

Reaction score
These sensors: GM TPMS from Rock Auto state in the listing 'No programming required before installation - follow OE relearn procedure after installation.' They are $48 a sensor, but I assume they are good quality.

I have a manual bead breaker to pop the outer bead to change the sensor. If you do not break the inner bead, then you have not changed the relationship of the tire and rim. Therefore you have not changed the balance of the tire and rim. The tires ride fine, no vibrations nor irregular wear. I'm not interested in paying a shop to rebalance the tires needlessly. I am that kind of cheap.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
These sensors: GM TPMS from Rock Auto state in the listing 'No programming required before installation - follow OE relearn procedure after installation.' They are $48 a sensor, but I assume they are good quality.

I have a manual bead breaker to pop the outer bead to change the sensor. If you do not break the inner bead, then you have not changed the relationship of the tire and rim. Therefore you have not changed the balance of the tire and rim. The tires ride fine, no vibrations nor irregular wear. I'm not interested in paying a shop to rebalance the tires needlessly. I am that kind of cheap.

I was going to add that caveat to watch for sensors that are already activated, but forgot. Good choice. Let us know how they work out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bad_idea

Reaction score
Will do. I placed the order last night, should be at the house by Monday. I should be at the house by Wednesday, currently on travel for work. Hopefully I get them installed next weekend.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, I've had a number of sensors fail over the years, and my shop simply breaks the bead at the valve stem and replaces the sensor without removing the tire.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate