New guy from No. Illinois

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickgto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New guy from the part of the country you can sit and have a beer and before you're finished another section of your vehicle rusted away......Found this forum doing some Googling on a vehicle I actually ended up buying. An 07 Yukon Denali. Been a Suburban (vehicle not area) guy since about 1984 and had many but don't do much hunting/towing anymore and figured I'd give a short Suburban a try. Pluses are it's a 96k mile loaded to the gills vehicle that EVERYTHING works and is absolutely rust free other than typical (minor) frame scaling. Yes, it's an out of state vehicle I happened to find.....Have to say, I haven't had to look for or get sticker shocked by used vehicles since 06, and it was a whole new experience. Looking for Suburbans or Yukon XL's to replace my great running/driving rusted away to nothing with only 170k miles Suburban LT, made me sick. Around here an 07-18 or so 150k + mi used Sub or Yukon XL is $15k to $30k plus. Crazy. And being a lifelong mechanic, scary....Anyway, found lot's of good info on this sight and it really did help me making a decision to pull the trigger on the 07. Especially since it's a non DOD/AFM L92 which I didn't know and (assumed) they all were from 05 up. To clarify the mechanic thing, I own/run a classic car repair and resto shop and never have worked on computer vehicles profession wise, except my own, since computers took the place of carbs and distributors. That and as said, haven't had to buy a vehicle since 2006 so had no clue on specs and such. So far pretty happy with the 07 but did notice it seems to be cheaper quality wise than the 01 Suburban was. Flimsier maybe is a better word? Very impressed with it's power but not so much the comfort driving it compared to the earlier platform if that makes sense. Course, the 22's it came with doesn't favor a comfortable ride......I plan to get rid of those and go back to the stock 18's. And yes, I will have to take it to my favorite dragstrip just to see if my assumptions are correct. It does go like H#$# for a .....um....truck.

Attachments

• CIMG2012.JPG
    CIMG2012.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 2

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from NYC!
Your Yukon looks to be in excellent condition.
Hopefully you got some service records.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice looking rig. I sold the identical year and color about 6 years ago. It was a rust free truck when I bought it down south in OK. I rust proofed the heck out of it and sold it as clean as I bought it at 227k.

Funny thing is, I got a call from the WI DOT about odometer fraud because it was sold to someone in IL with about 100k less miles. Luckily I had the proof to back-up my sale/ownership. Maybe you bought mine....LOL.

OP
OP
R

Rickgto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Truck was never titled in WI or OK. As much as I have absolutely no use for Carfax or Autocheck, they show 1 state ownership and religious franchise (same since new) DEALER maintanance. Lot's of telltales it's original mile truck. Yes, I'm a huge sceptic and did my due diligence.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome from Colorado and from a guy who is happy to have long ago moved from North Central Illinois (Streator, Ottawa, Peoria). It's a great place to be FROM.

OP
OP
R

Rickgto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agree Fless but I'm too old to make a move as much as I'd like to. I'm on the Ill/Wis border so as of yet, we're worlds away from Chicago as far as ..whatever. Tony. I drag raced Pontiacs since the 70's and the first time I drove the Yukon I thought HOLY CRAP! A friggin truck that'll run with most any factory stock 60's musclecar. But, no. I have several cars I get my kicks with and the Yukon is strictly for DD so I'll leave it alone. On that note, I didn't do my homework enough before buying that the 6.2 was/is a 'recommended" 10.5 to one premium fuel engine. I know, computers that'll compensate. It's what you DON'T hear (mild detonation) that causes the problems. On a good note. My shop is a mile from my house so the safeguard of running premium fuel for 10 buck a tank isn't a concern. Edit. Forgot to add. You said Tahoe. I like to refer to them as a Escahoekonali....Kinda like a 74 Skymegaventurnova..

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently run a 2008 6.2L Denali and I can tell you it loves a 25 - 30% blend of E85 and 87. You will get less MPG, but on par with normal 87 octane. Way less per fill up, channels the internal animal of the engine, and smells good. I can't justify premium to get just 1 more mpg. I'll enjoy the power, cleaner engine, and similar economy.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also live on the WI/IL border. Born and raised in IL, then skee-dattled at 20 years old to WI and never looked back. It's a good place to be FROM as @Fless said.

I however worked in Chitcago for many years in field service. Done with that now and try to stay away from there. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925