New Here!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exitstance

Reaction score
Hi, Last month I got a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. I've been reading these forums for a few weeks and they have been very helpful. I do have a couple questions.

Right now I have just been doing inexpensive mods. So far debadged, silverstar lows and fogs, xenon white drl's and black bowtie. Just ordered led's for the interior.

1. For the dome lights I ordered the bulbs listed in the sticky post in the "interior" section but I got the $7 ones instead of the 15$ by mistake, is this a big deal?

2. Can I get the factory color paint of my tahoe in a spray can and could I use it to paint the rear air vents? Would it look ok?

Thanks for the help.

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Welcome, and I can answer #2 for you. You can get it in a spray can. Go to a local aoutomotive paint supply store, if you have one around, and ask them if they will do that. If not you can order it online at paintscratch.

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :cheers: As far as number 1 is concerned, I don't know what the difference in cost is but as long as it is the same size as the $15 then you should be just fine. I wouldn't recommend just spray painting over the rear vent caps. If you want to tackle it yourself at the very least I would recommend scuffing it up really good with some sand paper or something to give it something to adhere to before you start the painting process. If I were you I would just take them to a paint shop to be done. It won't cost you that much to have them done. I would guess between $50-100 but all shops are different.

OP
OP
exitstance

exitstance

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into what a body shop around here would charge to paint the vents.

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As for the rear vents I'm in the process of doing the same and i took my trk to 2 different dealerships with body shops, a Chevy and GMC dealer and they were telling me that my vents are hard to come off because it's tucked under the glass and it may break if i want to take the risk. Sounds like B.S to me since members here have taken theirs off themselves. I have a Denali so not sure if it's the same process for the Tahoes. I am determined to get this done though. Oh yes they also said the paint won't stick even if it is scuffed up. Next step, buy the Escalade ones

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As for the rear vents I'm in the process of doing the same and i took my trk to 2 different dealerships with body shops, a Chevy and GMC dealer and they were telling me that my vents are hard to come off because it's tucked under the glass and it may break if i want to take the risk. Sounds like B.S to me since members here have taken theirs off themselves. I have a Denali so not sure if it's the same process for the Tahoes. I am determined to get this done though. Oh yes they also said the paint won't stick even if it is scuffed up. Next step, buy the Escalade ones

They are definitely hard to pull off, just do some searching as there is a thread somewhere with pics of the fasteners and how to pull. Basicaly it's not just a straight out pull, you have to put different pressures to get them to come out.

About the paint, alotta guys are painting stuff on their own..bowties, grills and I even saw a guy do his own bumper. I can personally tell you it's not as simple to get a great clean job every time, BUT if you find some junk plastic and practice - you can improve your skills tremendously. I would get the old paint off first. Oh, and buy extra paint for the test runs. :)

BOSS

bsims3996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've bought factory color spray paint from www.automotivetouchup.com . i painted my roll pan with it and it matches great but it is about $20.00 a can plus you need primer and clear coat which is about $9.00 a can from there. if you could get them painted for $50 from a body shop do it , save yourself the hassle and it will probably turn out better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dod5-3-6L80e

Latest posts