New member, looking for buying advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inkedin1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to this site and I really like all the information that is available. I have been window shopping (e-bay, craigslist) and am in the market to purchase a used tahoe. I have been looking at 02-03 Z71's, or, 2001-2004 4wd lt's. Mileage seems to be most common around 130,000 give or take 15,000. I was just wondering if there is anything I should avoid? Or if one of the models I have listed is more prone to having any sort of issues? I am looking to find one that has been takin' care of, one or two owner, and didn't have 3 or 4 young kids in the family thrashin' the interior all up. Any opinions or advice will be much appreciated. Thank You!!

Last edited:

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 2004. The PO had 2 rottweilers and the interior is ok.

The interior changed in 2003 so look at both. We have 120k miles and have only done a water pump so far.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Check the tranny fluid is all I can say,Also if you dont tow try and get one without autoride,its very expensive to replace!

OP
OP
inkedin1

inkedin1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Now do the 02-04 Z71's have autoride or is that just an option with the Z71's? I'm just learning here so I apologize for my ignorance, but this good to know. I will only be towing a two place jet ski trailer for now but eventually I will be buying another boat. So if I stay clear of the autoride couldn't I just install aftermarket air bags when I decide to become another "HAPPY" boat owner?

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Now do the 02-04 Z71's have autoride or is that just an option with the Z71's? I'm just learning here so I apologize for my ignorance, but this good to know. I will only be towing a two place jet ski trailer for now but eventually I will be buying another boat. So if I stay clear of the autoride couldn't I just install aftermarket air bags when I decide to become another "HAPPY" boat owner?

If I towed I would just find a tahoe with autoride.It rides really smooth too.As for what models have them standard I really dont know but on the ls and lt tahoes it comes as an option.

Jewel or Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, autoride is an option on the LS and LT. I don't think you can get it on a z71. Denalis also come stock with autoride and do ride better. The z71 is stiffer and a bit higher.

There are also Nivomat self levelling shocks that help prevent sag when towing.

If you're considering adding air bags just get autoride and make sure it works. We tow a 5000 lb trailer and use a weight distributing hitch so we don't need bags. A WD hitch is really a better solution for heavy trailers.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925