New owner of a 08 Z71 Tahoe!...with questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big 3 = improved ground wire, improved positive from alternator to battery, and I think the 3rd is improved battery?

OP
OP
J

jranaudo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What do these things do? Seems like odd mods. I mean yea a stronger battery but why? Was something flawed?

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do these things do? Seems like odd mods. I mean yea a stronger battery but why? Was something flawed?

This it's a recommendation for all cars. It improves the electrical system of the car. More recommended for cars with upgraded audio systems but should help regardless.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the big three upgrade?

Sorry, I missed this.

The basis is:
-Corrosion is not uncommon in either of the battery wires, which causes various electrical power loss issues.
-The wires are typically the smallest gage (size) wire possible to support the factory configuration. Every wire in the vehicle actually fits this thanks to cost control, but the main power and ground wires tend to be the most affected.

The big three typically refer to the positive wire from the alternator to the battery, from the battery to the starter, and the negative wire from the battery to the engine and/or chassis ground. My memory of the stock ground locations is a touch hazy, but the battery will typically connect to the passenger head and then another wire will run from the engine block to the chassis and from the other head to the body.

Ideally, you would replace the positive and negative wires with larger versions. Welding lead wire is ideal because it is solid copper and and flexible. Some have used amplifier power wire with success, that wire is typically a copper clad aluminum. If you use an adhesive heat shrink tubing, you will pretty much seal the wire and minimize the possibility of future issues due to oxidizing of the wire.

You can go with a larger capacity or higher CCA rated battery, but you are usually limited by space. Sometimes a higher rated alternator is beneficial as is going with a dual battery set up. Neither is really necessary unless you are running a serious sound system, run several "off road" lights, and/or have other high load electrical items.

Last edited: