New to 4WD, any info and advice appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Michael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2024 RST with 6.2L and 4wd. This is actually my 3rd Tahoe, I've exclusively owned Tahoes for 17 years now, so I've had one from each of the last three generations. I absolutely love these vehicles. This is my first 4wd vehicle though, my prior were all 2wd and I know very little about 4wd or when to use it. I live in Texas, so the one day a year it snows barely an inch I just WFH, and I don't off-road or anything. This is also my first 6.2L, my previous Tahoes were 5.3L. This 6.2L is a beast, I didn't realize how quickly these things can move with the 6.2L, feels like I've been missing out before now.

Anyways, as simple or naive as this question might seem to people who've been driving 4wd for decades, I honestly don't know much about it. Should I keep it in 2Hi most of the time, or is it OK to keep it in Auto? Should I occasionally engage 4wd a few times a year to make sure the switches and parts get some movement and don't seize up? Is it OK to put it in Auto when I'm feeling naughty and want to enjoy full traction when playing with the 6.2L, like WOT pulls and whatnot? Any other maintenance, use, or anecdotal advice?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is in the sun 90% of the time. Been in 2Hi for 3 years. I flip it in auto when we are in blinding rainstorms on interstates and when I pull my boat out of slippery ramps.
No ill effects or wear. Unless you need it... leave it in 2Hi.
You'll get tons of opinions about leaving it in Auto, but personally don't and wouldn't. I've never had a slip on mine in 2wd except in rain with the crappy stock tires that I got rid of.

gatorintx

Reaction score
Mine is in the sun 90% of the time. Been in 2Hi for 3 years. I flip it in auto when we are in blinding rainstorms on interstates and when I pull my boat out of slippery ramps.
No ill effects or wear. Unless you need it... leave it in 2Hi.
You'll get tons of opinions about leaving it in Auto, but personally don't and wouldn't. I've never had a slip on mine in 2wd except in rain with the crappy stock tires that I got rid of.
I do the same. 2Hi all the time except for when there's decent rain, then I put it in Auto. Gives me some peace of mind to have the extra traction available in a rainstorm. I imagine if we have an ice storm and I need to drive for some reason, I'd put it in 4wd, but haven't had to deal with that yet.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What everyone else said, and the owners manual.
Run it in 2Hi unless conditions worsen, then Auto.
If you are on lose gravel, sand, dirt, mud, 4Hi or 4Low as appropriate.

Only other thing I would say is Change the Transfer Case Fluid every 40-45k miles...there is only about 1.5 quarts in there...and the transfer case is a key link in your driveline.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2024 RST with 6.2L and 4wd. This is actually my 3rd Tahoe, I've exclusively owned Tahoes for 17 years now, so I've had one from each of the last three generations. I absolutely love these vehicles. This is my first 4wd vehicle though, my prior were all 2wd and I know very little about 4wd or when to use it. I live in Texas, so the one day a year it snows barely an inch I just WFH, and I don't off-road or anything. This is also my first 6.2L, my previous Tahoes were 5.3L. This 6.2L is a beast, I didn't realize how quickly these things can move with the 6.2L, feels like I've been missing out before now.

Anyways, as simple or naive as this question might seem to people who've been driving 4wd for decades, I honestly don't know much about it. Should I keep it in 2Hi most of the time, or is it OK to keep it in Auto? Should I occasionally engage 4wd a few times a year to make sure the switches and parts get some movement and don't seize up? Is it OK to put it in Auto when I'm feeling naughty and want to enjoy full traction when playing with the 6.2L, like WOT pulls and whatnot? Any other maintenance, use, or anecdotal advice?
I drive in auto 24/7 otherwise I am just doing burn outs, prefer the traction to tread loss
people will say "auto" puts more wear on it, ya well I haven't experienced that, what I have experienced is not breaking the rear differential and I can take off quick without spinning for a couple seconds first.
to each there own.....

martinajm

Reaction score
I have a similar use case. I am in 2H +90% of the time, but do try to "exercise" the 4WD options - Hi and LO - every couple of months to keep things moving. I personally don't really think that Auto is going to help in a rain storm unless you are driving irresponsibly for the conditions :). 4WD doesn't help you slow down or stop sliding...

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
My truck staying 2wd unless, as others have said, it’s crazy weather then switch to Auto for a level of comfort.
I do recommend going into 4low every so often just to keep things working properly. Just make SURE it’s in the grass or just roll the truck forward/backwards keeping the wheel straight to not get drivetrain bind.

It’s good to just exercise everything a bit but just be careful with 4lo on pavement. You will break something in 4lo on pavement if not careful.

Enjoy the new truck!

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive in auto 24/7 otherwise I am just doing burn outs, prefer the traction to tread loss
people will say "auto" puts more wear on it, ya well I haven't experienced that, what I have experienced is not breaking the rear differential and I can take off quick without spinning for a couple seconds first.
to each there own.....

I was never shy with 'auto' either, and that ol' Tahoe [2001] is still doing fine.

It occurs to me that maybe the full time AWD in my '07 Escalade is basically the same set-up as 'auto'. I don't see why there'd need to be much, if any, difference.

I'd be interested in knowledgeable input on that idea.

joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kareem9474