New to 4WD, any info and advice appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never shy with 'auto' either, and that ol' Tahoe [2001] is still doing fine.

It occurs to me that maybe the full time AWD in my '07 Escalade is basically the same set-up as 'auto'. I don't see why there'd need to be much, if any, difference.

I'd be interested in knowledgeable input on that idea.

joe
they are very similar, but there is a small difference which is technical and I can't think of what it is other than the power split is not 24/7 and the awd doesn't have a front actuator
my denali is awd, the silverado in auto behaves the same way, the wifes burb is 2wd I am doing burnouts in that to if I am not chill on take off's
my old 03 silverado was 2wd and 3.73 she was a touchy bish, bump the pedal and burn-out lol not even on purpose

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was never shy with 'auto' either, and that ol' Tahoe [2001] is still doing fine.

It occurs to me that maybe the full time AWD in my '07 Escalade is basically the same set-up as 'auto'. I don't see why there'd need to be much, if any, difference.

I'd be interested in knowledgeable input on that idea.

joe
In theory yes but in application no. In auto mode on the 4WD transfer cases you’re still only getting power to 2 wheels at a time until the wheel speed sensors detect traction loss and will apply power to another wheel. The AWD transfer cases in the older setups, like mine, are exactly that. All 4 wheels under power at all times with a constant power distribution until the wheel speed sensors detect traction loss and send power to a different wheel.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar use case. I am in 2H +90% of the time, but do try to "exercise" the 4WD options - Hi and LO - every couple of months to keep things moving. I personally don't really think that Auto is going to help in a rain storm unless you are driving irresponsibly for the conditions :). 4WD doesn't help you slow down or stop sliding...
You really don't know what it's doing for you. It could help you multiple times in a slippery stretch and you don't even know it. If you ever drove on the stock tires in a rainstorm and you felt it slip or hydroplane, you'd understand why auto makes sense. We have.....

OP
OP
S

Sean Michael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback from everyone. It appears there is not a consensus on running auto full time being OK or not, but I'm looking forward to the first time it rains since picking this truck up so I actually get to feel auto4wd doing it's thing.

I have a few other tangential questions I don't think are worth starting a new thread over:

My prior two Tahoes had a button on the dash or overhead console that would turn on all interior lights, but I can't find a similar button on my '24. Is there no way to turn on all interior lights from the driver seat?

From what I understand, 2024 Tahoes with 6.2L are supposed to come with active exhaust. My new '24 definitely sounds much louder at cold startup than my previous 5.3 Tahoes, but from what little I've played around with the sport mode while driving, I can't really tell much difference in exhaust note between being in sport mode or normal, unless it's subtle and I haven't had enough time to notice the difference yet. Should my 6.2 RST have active exhaust? Does anyone else have a '24 6.2 and notice a difference in sound in sport mode?

Speaking of sport mode, does it also adjust the magnaride suspension? What exactly does sport mode do besides programming to hold gear longer?

This Tahoe is new-new, only had 5 miles when I test drove it last week practically straight off the transport truck. I had to wait for PDI to be wrapped up and I'm the only customer who's ever sat in it. I live in DFW so the Arlington plant where these are assembled is only <45 minutes from the dealership, so I would like to think it went from assembly line to my garage in a particularly short time. It's interesting when I occasionally drive by the plant where these are made. I digress, but having watched some videos about break-in I made sure to fluctuate rpm/speed and no WOT or hard starts the first 250 miles, I still haven't floored it yet and avoid hard starts, but after 250 miles I have began enjoying more go-pedal where appropriate. This 6.2 seems to beg for it. My question is when the first oil change should happen. Some people say 1K miles, dealership says I'm fine with the first change being at 5K. Any opinions on when to do the first oil change? Any other Tahoe specific break-in advice?

Oh, final question. I put Michelin Defenders on my prior Tahoe that came with those awful Continental tires, made a noticeable difference. This RST came with Bridgestone Alenza tires, what's the opinion on those?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interior Lights...Hold down the map light for about 2 seconds, all lights turn on, do the same to turn it off...in the owners manual!

The Stock Bridgstones are not good either, except perhaps their low rolling resistance helping your MPG's slightly.

1726072573595.png

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar use case. I am in 2H +90% of the time, but do try to "exercise" the 4WD options - Hi and LO - every couple of months to keep things moving. I personally don't really think that Auto is going to help in a rain storm unless you are driving irresponsibly for the conditions :). 4WD doesn't help you slow down or stop sliding...
I beg to differ. Mind you, I have used "Auto" and don't really like the results. So I used 4HI in inclement weather. And on at least 2 occasions, 4HI has maintained traction on at least 2 wheels, allowing me to safely slow or maintain control at a minimum.

I will admit it was a weird sensation to have the rear wheels break loose and the front ones still driving and controlling the vehicle. Scary, too, but maintaining control is good for building some courage.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback from everyone. It appears there is not a consensus on running auto full time being OK or not, but I'm looking forward to the first time it rains since picking this truck up so I actually get to feel auto4wd doing it's thing.

I have a few other tangential questions I don't think are worth starting a new thread over:

My prior two Tahoes had a button on the dash or overhead console that would turn on all interior lights, but I can't find a similar button on my '24. Is there no way to turn on all interior lights from the driver seat?

From what I understand, 2024 Tahoes with 6.2L are supposed to come with active exhaust. My new '24 definitely sounds much louder at cold startup than my previous 5.3 Tahoes, but from what little I've played around with the sport mode while driving, I can't really tell much difference in exhaust note between being in sport mode or normal, unless it's subtle and I haven't had enough time to notice the difference yet. Should my 6.2 RST have active exhaust? Does anyone else have a '24 6.2 and notice a difference in sound in sport mode?

Speaking of sport mode, does it also adjust the magnaride suspension? What exactly does sport mode do besides programming to hold gear longer?

This Tahoe is new-new, only had 5 miles when I test drove it last week practically straight off the transport truck. I had to wait for PDI to be wrapped up and I'm the only customer who's ever sat in it. I live in DFW so the Arlington plant where these are assembled is only <45 minutes from the dealership, so I would like to think it went from assembly line to my garage in a particularly short time. It's interesting when I occasionally drive by the plant where these are made. I digress, but having watched some videos about break-in I made sure to fluctuate rpm/speed and no WOT or hard starts the first 250 miles, I still haven't floored it yet and avoid hard starts, but after 250 miles I have began enjoying more go-pedal where appropriate. This 6.2 seems to beg for it. My question is when the first oil change should happen. Some people say 1K miles, dealership says I'm fine with the first change being at 5K. Any opinions on when to do the first oil change? Any other Tahoe specific break-in advice?

Oh, final question. I put Michelin Defenders on my prior Tahoe that came with those awful Continental tires, made a noticeable difference. This RST came with Bridgestone Alenza tires, what's the opinion on those?
Ditch the Bridgestones as soon as you can and go for the Michelins. My 2006 had brand new Bridgestones on it when I picked it up in late February of 2015. They were hands down the worst tires I’ve ever had. No traction in even the slightest bit of rain which in my opinion is just pathetic. The Michelin defenders will out perform OEM Bridgestones in every way. Currently on my second set of defenders and won’t run anything else for my Denali.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don’t have a hard copy of the owners manual you can get one on line and much more user friendly than the hard copy. You will find things in the manual that you don’t even know about.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im old skool in my ways of keeping 4wd working good. The main issues that I have found, solenoids and other things get sticky if sitting in one position too long.

So I do things in this order.

Flip to 4Lo, Drive around the block, around 1/4 mile etc. This gets the fluid, gears moving.
Flip to 4Hi, do the same drive.

About once a quarter.

This keeps T cases happy and gears/bearings lubed and clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsanchezz