New to me 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdl_131

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I just sold my 2004 Tahoe Z71 and bought a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid with 106k miles on it. I have until Wednesday to turn this thing back into the dealership if I decide I don't like it and...I have some questions for those who have owned one of these new body style trucks, some hybrid specific questions, some not.

1. It seems like when I turn the key to start the truck there is a slight hesitation or delay. Is this hybrid related?
  2. There is some black water that came from the exhaust pipe. Normal?
  3. When I turn the steering wheel there is a noise that comes from the wheel...kind of a creaking sound.
  4. I had the truck in auxiliary mode for about 45 minutes while I was playing with all the new tech and navigation and then I noticed that the DIC said "Service charging system". Is this because I ran the battery down or is something wrong? The message has not come back since.
  5. The dash is cracked, how much to replace?
  6. The piece that covers the seat belt bracket at the top is missing and I can't seem to find a part number for it. Not sure exactly how to describe it, it goes at the very top of the seat belt next to your shoulder.
  7. The wireless headphones are busted, can i use any wireless headphones or do I have to buy stock ones? Part number?
  8. I need the volume knobs for the back seat radio. Part number?
  9. Is there a cheap/easy way to make the DVD player play on the Nav screen while driving? I've seen the Lockpick but it is pretty pricey I think ($~250).

I greatly appreciate your time to read this post and provide any feedback you might have.

Thanks!

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2. probably ok. if it hasn't been started in a little bit then thats just built up carbon

4. normal. you were draining your battery and it was giving you a warning

5. depends. see -> http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3483

6. pic?

9. nope. lockpick and i think there's another one, but you're looking at the same price

HighRollerRich

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My parents 08 Tahoe 4x4 LTC just hit 117k. Ltz w/ nav and DVD. They bought it brand new. NO major problems at all. Tires lasted 95k. Brakes lasted till 85k. Daily driver 40 miles round trip work commute and 1000 miles a month in road trips. No drivetrain problems at all. Nothing. Incredible.

Not a lot of help for you but a testament to the reliability of the Tahoe.

I love the exterior look of the hybrids.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
That seatbelt is actually supposed to be like that If I'm not mistaken

OP
OP
J

jdl_131

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a video of the low pitched squeaky, grunty sound coming from the steering wheel. You might have to turn your volume up some to hear it, it is low pitched and quiet on the video but it is quite noticeable while driving and it can also be felt in the steering wheel.

[yt]RW3IuJiKYGI[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fixed your video. That does sound weird, not sure what i is...

That seatbelt is actually supposed to be like that If I'm not mistaken

x2

all of mine do

twizzer18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As far as the seat belt I did notice that the plastic trim piece around the metal part is not properly attached to the metal piece. Hope I am explaining this right, lol.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I just sold my 2004 Tahoe Z71 and bought a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid with 106k miles on it. I have until Wednesday to turn this thing back into the dealership if I decide I don't like it and...I have some questions for those who have owned one of these new body style trucks, some hybrid specific questions, some not.

1. It seems like when I turn the key to start the truck there is a slight hesitation or delay. Is this hybrid related?
  2. There is some black water that came from the exhaust pipe. Normal?
  3. When I turn the steering wheel there is a noise that comes from the wheel...kind of a creaking sound.
  4. I had the truck in auxiliary mode for about 45 minutes while I was playing with all the new tech and navigation and then I noticed that the DIC said "Service charging system". Is this because I ran the battery down or is something wrong? The message has not come back since.
  5. The dash is cracked, how much to replace?
  6. The piece that covers the seat belt bracket at the top is missing and I can't seem to find a part number for it. Not sure exactly how to describe it, it goes at the very top of the seat belt next to your shoulder.
  7. The wireless headphones are busted, can i use any wireless headphones or do I have to buy stock ones? Part number?
  8. I need the volume knobs for the back seat radio. Part number?
  9. Is there a cheap/easy way to make the DVD player play on the Nav screen while driving? I've seen the Lockpick but it is pretty pricey I think ($~250).

I greatly appreciate your time to read this post and provide any feedback you might have.

Thanks!

1. No, I dunno why it's doing that
2. Never had black water come out of mine that I ever noticed
3. Again mine did not do that, but it's obviously not hybrid related
4. Normal
5. Known issue, expensive to fix.
6. Dunno
7. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Oem-G...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c39d0523c&vxp=mtr
8. Dunno
9. As Nathan answered, but be careful those lockpicks are moody on regular GMT900s, they are known to be even moodier on Hybrids because of the extra programming related to the hybrid drive display in the nav.

Personally I would think twice about keeping this truck, the 08s as the first model year of the hybrids had a lot of issues that were fixed 09 and onwards. This particular one you have has high miles and a few issues of its own so you may be in for some adventures. If you do decide to keep it then please look into buying a GM Major Guard warranty if it is available to you ... I would certainly not own a high mileage hybrid without it because some components can get insanely expensive to fix.

If you investigate the known issues with hybrids you will see that about 90% are related to the 08s: http://greenhybrid.com/discuss/f69/ You can also ask the same questions there to other hybrid owners.

I loved my Tahoe Hybrid so I can't say anything negative about these trucks, but they are sensitive Hoes, and require to be driven without much abuse and serviced by knowledgable techs ... that's why I would be weary of a high mileage one.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968