New to me 96 Tahoe Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cruz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I picked up a 96 Tahoe 2 weeks ago. I have been battling through some wiring gremlins since I got it.
The rig did not come with a key fob the owner assumed it did not come with remote keyless entry, the RPO codes says it does. So went out and picked up a key fob, programed it and works great. The question is does the remote keyless entry flash the parking lights or sound the horn for conformation or lock/unlock, or does it just turn on the dome lights when the doors are locked/unlocked?

Second, I found a purple wire behind the drivers kick panel that was cut, I then I followed to the rear pillar then disappears into the head liner any guesses?

Third, under the dash on driver side is the relay center or convenience center there is a purple wire plugged into the upper right connection port labeled NAT. that wire is cut also… any guesses?

And last, the dash light dimmer does not work. I have already replace the headlight switch and nothing. Only bright. Will not dim the dash lights. Not really a problem, just bugs me. And on the dimmer dial there are two dots…. The first one does nothing , what should it do..
and the second turns on the dome lights….
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction…
Thanks in advance
Cruz

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
welcome to the tahoe world i just bought a 96 yesterday still waiting for it to get here tho ...pretty similar to my 99 i had that purple wire could have been an amp wire if the previous owner had installed an aftermarket system ...goodluck and get some pics up man

TheBlueBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 96 with keyless entry. The key fob only turns on the lights in mine. For some reason, if I hit the lock button twice it won't unlock the driver's side door next time I hit unlock (one day I'll worry about it more), but as long as I only hit lock once, works pretty well. Just throwing that out there.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
The parking lights don't flash or beep. Unlock turns on the dome lights, lock turns them off after about 2-3 seconds.

The dimmer switch: The dial has two high settings the first one is the brightest setting. The second (all the way up) turns on the dome lights.

OP
OP
C

Cruz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies…. I was wondering about the keyless entry and when they started the parking light confirmation….
The headlight switch has been replaced. Twice… first with a used and finally with a new…So I don’t believe the problem with the switch.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows the convince center connections? I have access to AllData,,, and I have not found the Diagram of it and the associated connections… still trying to chase down this 10 gage purple wire and where it feeds from. When I first got the Tahoe the dome lights did not work found that there was no power feed to the overhead console. I just borrowed a power feed from the visor lamps to get the overheads to work… I was wondering if the purple wire has something to do with it….

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
under alldata go: Vehicle » Power and Ground Distribution » Fuse Block » Application and ID » Convenience Center

and that purple wire is most likely the rear glass window defogger.

OP
OP
C

Cruz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you Sun...
That is what i was looking for... I found it last night, and yes the cut wires are for the Rear Defogger ... now to find out why they are cut....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52