New to the Forum, just bought an '04 Escalade EXT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeepSeaFish

Reaction score
Yes, the new idler and pitman arms, etc can put added stress on an already worn gear box. Not a bad idea to go ahead and change it out too.

As for the tranny fluid, go pull the dip stick and smell it, rub it between your fingers. Although you can't tell everything, you can get a decent idea of the condition of the fluid if it smells burnt or is gritty to the touch between your fingers. If you have no more than 100K on it, I would think that a simple flush should help, not hurt.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

I can help with instructions to flush your tranny without hurting it.

CLKelley is right on with the tranny info. Also, check to see what color the fluid is in addtion to the burnt smell and gritty feel. If it's got a nice translucent reddish tint to it, you're in good shape. If it's brownish in tint, then change it out.

1993 sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid 15,600. It was on the higher end price point for an 04, but all the other ones i was looking at were pretty ripped up inside and out. This one is spotless, and i bought it from a reputable dealer, 1 owner.

I looked at a lot of '07's. The cheapest one i found was 24,995, and it was in very poor shape. I think you could find one at a little better price if you found a private owner, just be careful, lots of junk out there.

Well I am going to look at one this weekend but just the Escalade not te Ext and it's $18k 06 with 71k miles on it really nice exterior and interior fully loaded sunroof nav etc what u think good deal to too much?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
18k for and 06 with 71k miles sounds like a killer deal if it's as clean as described!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! :)

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Nice looking EXT man. Infinity looks good too
I did a complete front end rebuild a few months back, everything was easy except that Pitman arm! After trying for many hours, unsuccessfully, I had to pay a buddy to bring
"a bigger hammer" and get it off. They can be very stubborn, and get almost metal welded on. Not saying don't try it or you can't/won't get off, but have a plan B if it doesn't come off for ya. I have an 01 Tahoe, so different, but Chevys are notorious for hard to remove pitman arms.
Clean rig tho and welcome to the forum

zigoapex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
another newbie, I just pulled the trigger on an 04 ext 78000 florida 1 owner truck,very clean in and out. only thing i noticed was a little oil on rear pumpkin,
and a slight vibration. out bthe door for 17000.00 w 3 month drive train warranty.I looked at many in the last 2 weeks, this one was by far the nicest.
anything i should be looking out for? thx in advance

bikerglasses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a complete front end rebuild a few months back, everything was easy except that Pitman arm!

Any instructional threads on doing the front end rebuilds ? This is something id be interested in doing also but would need some guidance.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the wires for sure at that mileage, the plugs might be ok though.

At 83K miles my plugs were just fine, the wires though needed changing. There isn't much to tune up on modern vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx