Newbie at DIY mechanics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bolter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello forum. I own a 2018 Yukon XL Denali (bought used) and just got an estimate to replace brakes and rear shocks that is the equivalent of a good family vacation. I'm a long-time payer for maintenance, first time auto DIY-er. Well, I've changed oil and filters, swapped batteries, and I'm handy enough with other projects around the home. Quick internet research looks like brakes and shocks are jobs I can handle, given the tools and time.

I'm searching through the forums but would appreciate links to threads on replacing brakes and shocks that anyone has at hand. Also, what are good quality replacement brands/models of brakes and shocks? I'm doing general driving including occasionally on gravel/unpaved roads such as forest roads and campgrounds. For reference, I live in Colorado.

Thanks!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello forum. I own a 2018 Yukon XL Denali (bought used) and just got an estimate to replace brakes and rear shocks that is the equivalent of a good family vacation. I'm a long-time payer for maintenance, first time auto DIY-er. Well, I've changed oil and filters, swapped batteries, and I'm handy enough with other projects around the home. Quick internet research looks like brakes and shocks are jobs I can handle, given the tools and time.

I'm searching through the forums but would appreciate links to threads on replacing brakes and shocks that anyone has at hand. Also, what are good quality replacement brands/models of brakes and shocks? I'm doing general driving including occasionally on gravel/unpaved roads such as forest roads and campgrounds. For reference, I live in Colorado.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! We need some additional information: Does your truck have the Magneride (Z95) suspension package? If so, rock auto is the best place to buy replacements: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8928124&cc=3438504&pt=7556&jsn=510

For brakes, I'm a fan of the Powerstop Z23 rotors and ceramic pads.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As @Geotrash mentioned the type of suspension you have can dictate the repair process. Brakes are very straightforward as is shock replacement.

There are tons of videos on YouTube showing the repair but the first step is knowing you can do it.

Here’s a short list of steps to follow.

Watch videos to see steps, parts, and tools needed (many times parts suppliers such as power stop have their own videos)

Have another vehicle in case you need to get parts or you run out of time.

Use safety steps like Jack stands, lifting points, and PPE

Give yourself plenty of time.

Do one side at a time and take pictures along the way for reference during reassembly

Some parts being replaced may need the battery disconnected.

Use proper lubricant and torque specs.

This list isn’t meant to include everything. Being new at DIY there will be tools you may not have but don’t be deterred.

Lastly, don’t be intimidated by the process. Once you get going you’ll enjoy the process and satisfaction of knowing you can do it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

RockAuto.com and GMPartsDirect.com both carry OEM parts at a price significantly cheaper than the local dealer. Yes, I'm sure that you can perform those maintenance items yourself and save boatloads of money.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369