Newbie with Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
love your signature....as a fan of the square bodies, i have drooled over your 77. as a matter of fact, back in the mid 90s my first truck was a 1977 longbed. here's the only pic i have on the computer of it. I replaced the light blue interior with dark navy blue with new door panels and dash, carpet and bucket seats with console. motor was a 350 that was built with some goodies and of course the requisite 4 bbl gas guzzler carb. this was back in the days of 15 inch rims so it had some 15 inch chrome rims with firestone firehawk tires...true duals with glasspacks, etc. i had the racing stripes painted on to match the interior back when dodge came out with the rams with racing stripes. was cool back then haha.

77_chevy.jpg

:waytogo: Thanks for the compliment! I definitely love the square body's of 73-87! By far my favorite body style :D My '77 has been a project mine for 8 years now and one that my dad and I rebuilt over that time doing 95% of the work ourselves. My 2 little boys now get to enjoy the 'fruits' of our labor as they REALLY enjoy going for rides. :D It's the one vehicle that'll never leave my possession. Everything else will come and go but that '77 will eventually get passed on to my sons when I'm too old and fat to get in it :D

OP
OP

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of my co workers still has his 86 GMC shortbed that was his first car. He just last year or so had the motor rebuilt. He's had about 3 transmissions i think, and its had 4 repaints. Its red old school with the popular back then buckets with the flip up console for the third seat, and he had to "special order" his new rims and tires. He got 15 inch chrome Cragars and 15 inch tires...none of the tire stores had 15 inch custom rims for trucks anymore haha. But its just like it was back in 1990 when he got it. Just nice and clean and straight.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

here's a couple of the first mods. the exhaust was done on the way home from the dealer haha
photo0984.jpg

overhead DVD player. as soon as i find out if i can wire it into the rear seat audio control panel it'll be finished but for now the headphones and built in speakers work fine

photo0983.jpg

gotta have one of those for the kiddos. they drive you insane on a long trip and we are going from dallas to austin in a couple of weeks so thats a gotta have haha.

first part of the week the running boards, and billet grille should be here....

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you get your overhead DVD player and (if you don't mind me asking) how much was it? I've been thinking about getting one for the Burb but not sure how much I should expect to spend. Did you install it or did you have someone install it?

OP
OP

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get your overhead DVD player and (if you don't mind me asking) how much was it? I've been thinking about getting one for the Burb but not sure how much I should expect to spend. Did you install it or did you have someone install it?

yup. ebay. its one of the cheap ones from china. bought the same brand but in the headrest version for my Tundra. they are faux leather with zip up covers and look great. cant tell they are DVD players. on this truck, with cloth seats, i didnt want the non cloth headrests so i went with the overhead one again. 139 bucks shipped. its got a sony laser in it and works really well. no issues with the chinese ones in my truck in over a year and a half. if they break for the price tey are easily replaceable for cheap. they game via DHL and ordered them tuesday night and they got here thursday AM. cant get peopel to ship in the US that fast haha. its got a remote, wireless game controller, some cheesy games on a DVD and two pairs of IR wireless headphones. not a bad deal at all if you ask me. sure beats the prices locally. and instaleld it myself. remvoed the stock dome light and the brace is right there. screw the plate to it, wire it to the stock dome light, map light wires and ground it then run a 12v switched up to it and you are done. took all of an hour and half. with this type, and that brace up there, the mounting plate just goes on the headliner and screws in. no need to drop the headliner like i had to in my wife's previous SUV. that one i had to fasten an piece of MDF to the cross members sicne they were too far away from where i wanted the DVD player. anyway, if you have any other questions just ask.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does the sound just come through the headphones and that's it? I guess I was curious how the sound goes through the vehicles speakers but from what you just said it doesn't sound like it does....

OP
OP

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does the sound just come through the headphones and that's it? I guess I was curious how the sound goes through the vehicles speakers but from what you just said it doesn't sound like it does....

oh sorry...guess i could tell ya that haha.

it has built in speakers...plenty loud for the kiddos but not going to be like any surround sound or nothing. has an aux output that on our last SUV, we had a similar DVD player, and I used the RCA audio outs into one of those converter deals that converts it to the 3.5mm jack and i plugged it into the aux input on the aftermarket stereo. this 05 stereo doesnt have an aux input like that though. so, besides the built in speakers, it also has an FM transmitter but the quality is iffy at best. at the present time i am waiting for someone to tell me no it cant be done or to help me out on the wiring diagram for the rear seat OEM control and see about adding the audio out of the DVD to the DVD audio input on that panel. Just need the wiring diagram and i bet i can get it to work.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome man! Thanks for the info! :waytogo: that helps me out a lot :)

OP
OP

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
figured i would just update this thread as we progress...

was supposed to have running boards installed by now but the seller shipped me ones for a regular yukon and not the XL, so needless to say, im waiting for the new ones.

but FEDEX dropped off my our new billet grille today...i like this one better than the one in my tundra and last few vehicles..this one doesnt have the black powdercoated flat part and only polished edge. this one is polished throughout, no black at all. (it fades and or flakes over time on my last ones).

anyways, super simple- installed in five minutes with only two screws and brackets. now waiting for the LED tails, HIDs, backup camera and monitor, LEDs for mirror turn signals and a few other things.

photo0997b.jpg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lookin' good man! :waytogo: I like it!

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and i gotta say thats a real nice xl. I always have loved this body style. Thats why i have one lol. Love the progress so far. And if you dont mind me asking whered you get your grill at?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motorgeek