No start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I bought a 97 hoe with 207k on the clock and a bad flexplate/flywheel. I got it to crank and still wont start. CKP looks brand new as well as the plugs wires an dist. I removed the intake and when I tried it again all the gas fumes seemed to come out of the throttle body. Is there an easy way to check the timing or do you just need to go old school and start form the beginning (tdc, remove dist, etc) Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Found this thread searching for the year of your vehicle to help with your lighting issue. sorry i missed it months ago i was unavailable to help. I would like to know tho what ended up happening with this issue? was it resolved or does it still need addressing?

OP
OP
Roadboy

Roadboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I bought a 97 hoe with 207k on the clock and a bad flexplate/flywheel. I got it to crank and still wont start. CKP looks brand new as well as the plugs wires an dist. I removed the intake and when I tried it again all the gas fumes seemed to come out of the throttle body. Is there an easy way to check the timing or do you just need to go old school and start form the beginning (tdc, remove dist, etc) Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice

I turned the distributor on accident while working under the hood and it started right up and I adjusted it until it ran well enough to get it to a shop and have it done right

OP
OP
Roadboy

Roadboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took it in to a local shop and they said the timing is NOT adjustable. How is it that I was able to accidentally turn the distributor and make it run better? Do they not have the tools needed to do the job right? ie Tech 2? Just wondering if i'm getting charged for something that's not going to be done properly.

Vette_13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im not sure if your model will be the same but mine is a 95 yukon 5.7tbi and to set the timing on the truck there is a wire (for me it was located by the blower motor in the interior) that wire must be disconnected then the timing must be set to 0 degrees then re plug the wire and the timing has been set

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Took it in to a local shop and they said the timing is NOT adjustable. How is it that I was able to accidentally turn the distributor and make it run better? Do they not have the tools needed to do the job right? ie Tech 2? Just wondering if i'm getting charged for something that's not going to be done properly.

yo can use any scanner the can read gm's "CAM_RETARD" pid. live view the data while raising rpm to 2000. while doing so rotate dizzy till data reads 0.0° + or - 2.0°. shut everything down then lock the dizzy down and clear out the p1345 code if you have one. that is it.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Im not sure if your model will be the same but mine is a 95 yukon 5.7tbi and to set the timing on the truck there is a wire (for me it was located by the blower motor in the interior) that wire must be disconnected then the timing must be set to 0 degrees then re plug the wire and the timing has been set

Uh yeah, different system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmarRa