Stalling while driving.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skunkape

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
05 tahoe 4wd 5.3 284k miles.
While driving 65mph state highway the engine stalled out. Just seemed to quit, no stutters, backfires or choking. Pulled it over with no power and turned the key off. After waiting a few minutes, it started right up with no issues.
After driving another mile or 2, it did it again. In the same way, I started it again drove a couple miles more. This happened 5 times in a 16 mile stretch until I reached a gas station. At this point it had just under a half tank of gas, so I thought I would fill it up just to make sure the fuel guage hadn't malfunctioned.
It took 14.4 gallons of gas to the neck, started right up and drove the remaining 24 miles home, on county roads, with no issues.
No check engine lights and the only code it's throwing is PO455. Any thoughts?
Fuel pump? Pressure regulator? Cam position sensor?
Thanks for your time.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an EVAP code, which doesn't typically cause driveability issues.

Could be fuel delivery issues, yes.

To diagnose you need a fuel pressure gauge with a long hose. Tape the gauge to the windshield and see if your pressure drops right before it stalls, then go from there.

justirv

Reaction score
05 tahoe 4wd 5.3 284k miles.
While driving 65mph state highway the engine stalled out. Just seemed to quit, no stutters, backfires or choking. Pulled it over with no power and turned the key off. After waiting a few minutes, it started right up with no issues.
After driving another mile or 2, it did it again. In the same way, I started it again drove a couple miles more. This happened 5 times in a 16 mile stretch until I reached a gas station. At this point it had just under a half tank of gas, so I thought I would fill it up just to make sure the fuel guage hadn't malfunctioned.
It took 14.4 gallons of gas to the neck, started right up and drove the remaining 24 miles home, on county roads, with no issues.
No check engine lights and the only code it's throwing is PO455. Any thoughts?
Fuel pump? Pressure regulator? Cam position sensor?
Thanks for your time.
My first thought was fuel pump, I'd follow Strut's advice to monitor fuel pressure in real-time.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel issue except that you said it did not stutter at all, you said it just died. Definitely check fuel pressure with long hose and gauge on drive.

Plus, do not, I repeat, do not fill fuel up to the neck. Remove nozzle when the pump clicks off. You have now damaged the eval system and have fuel in the charcoal cannister.

I would bet, if a new fuel pump fixes the problem, you will still set codes for evap system problems.

OP
OP
S

Skunkape

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel issue except that you said it did not stutter at all, you said it just died. Definitely check fuel pressure with long hose and gauge on drive.

Plus, do not, I repeat, do not fill fuel up to the neck. Remove nozzle when the pump clicks off. You have now damaged the eval system and have fuel in the charcoal cannister.

I would bet, if a new fuel pump fixes the problem, you will still set codes for evap system problems.
Thanks Strut. I didn't know that, but it makes sense. Won't be doing that anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou