Not a Tahoe, but I need help with my '92 K1500 (TBI) please guys...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'92 K1500 5.7L TBI

So yesterday I drive about 12 miles this afternoon on the way to get my rear ranch hand bumper (a long trip for this truck), and at the red light going to the freight terminal I notice a sort of reverse idle surge; it's not a rough idle, it just got low quickly and then bounced quickly back to normal a few times, takes no more than 2 seconds. Then I pull up to the gate and I notice it doing it again, then as I'm waiting for it to open it stalls. And it was a hard start, took 4-5 attempts. You can hear it turning over it just doesn't crank. Then it fires up, runs great. So we throw the bumper in the back of the truck and on the way home I notice the low surge so I start driving with two feet. We get back home and when I put the truck in reverse to park it immediately stalls again. And again, its a very hard start.

The truck has been stumbling a bit at start-up until it warms up. I just don't drive this truck enough at all to describe behavior differences.

Anybody got a clue?

New parts: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, spark control module, EGR valve, EGR valve solenoid, TPS, MAP sensor, O2 sensor, ignition control module, pick-up coil, IAC Valve, CTS, knock sensor (& pigtail), intake gaskets, and prob some more, all within the last 500 miles.

Discussion on GMT400 has me thinking I need a TB rebuild...I have a kit, just haven't gotten around to doing it. Fuel pressure is steady high, like 15-16 PSI. Could it be leaking FPR and/or injectors? I have steady fuel from both injectors, it just isn't anything close to a "mist" and the hard starting does feel like a flooded carb.

I ordered two new Delphi injectors this morning.

The kit I have is just like this:
$%28KGrHqR,%21mIE-eF1%28fk9BPqZM3ZZLg%7E%7E60_12.jpg

I've never been in one of these TB's before, but is that all I need? Are there replacements for the actual pressure regulator available?

Please help!

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Orange/Copper piece is your fuel pressure regulator, be careful not to tear it putting it back together. Do the Free TBI mods hwile it's out.

What does the pattern look like if it's not a mist??

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
does it matter if the trucks hot or not really? the ignition control module will play crazy games once its hot. Check under it to see if you have enough of that special grease crap.

OP
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the truck idles a little rough at cold crank, but the stalling and idle drop problem are once it is warm.

The ICM is new.

I watched some videos of bad injectors vs. good ones over at FSC, and now I have seen the light...my injectors are PISSING fuel. They look like a hose on a pulse setting.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
remember, just because its new, doesnt mean they always work. youll have to go through a few of them sometimes. parts are ****** now adays

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure will effect the spray pattern ... who told you it was 15? When it's acting up and stalling have you verified the fuel pressure?? Putting new injectors into a TBI that needs a rebuild isn't going to help. Perhaps your O ring at the bottom is jacked up ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgorabit