Not Sure If Your Rear Main Seal Is Leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, come on.... ;) It puts hair on your chest! (unless you chafe it off trying to maneuver the transfer case... That sucker was heavy even with it's magnesium case....)

Those NVG246 transfer cases weigh in at north of 80 lbs empty. I'd be squished....

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I've fully hijacked jonnytahoe's thread...this was the first and only transmission I've dropped. Had to replace the slave cylinder that I accidentally broke when installing the long tubes. Was a good time to upgrade all the hydraulics and pressure plate/clutch.

This was 20 years ago and I still have no interest in doing that again and it was just a T-56.

T56-1.jpg Jacked2.jpg

Back to your scheduled rear main oil leak thread!!!

Greg Kulbick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I've fully hijacked jonnytahoe's thread...this was the first and only transmission I've dropped. Had to replace the slave cylinder that I accidentally broke when installing the long tubes. Was a good time to upgrade all the hydraulics and pressure plate/clutch.

This was 20 years ago and I still have no interest in doing that again and it was just a T-56.

View attachment 279176 View attachment 279175

Yeah, I know that set up. My days bench pressing transmissions into place are well behind me.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, my last trans dropped on top of my stomach and then shift sideways to get to ground, from under a Camaro, are long gone.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch Ron! I'm not a big guy, so that probably would have killed me.

I had a bit of a scary moment with my tranny jack. It was secure on the jack, but the tilt feature did not hold as I separated the tranny from the rear of the engine. Afterwards, I realized that the adjuster bolts had a locking nut on the end that was rotating off. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I believe I wiggled the transmission off onto some blocks, resecured the locking nuts with some locktite. At least I was smart enough to use ratchet straps holding the tranny on the jack, otherwise it would have gone sliding right off. The other thing that got me was that while the base of the jack was level with the tranny at first, and the base seemed firm, the tranny is very front heavy and was enough to tilt the base forwards. This wasn't a cheap jack, but it wasn't the most expensive. It was designed for transmissions.

So, TGF tranny jacks, but inspect them first.

torqwench

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Crazy timing. Here's mine this weekend after blasting it clean with brake cleaner. Started it up and saw this: (It's either rear main seal/cover or I did a bad job on the oil pan gasket or BOTH) Thoughts? All new stuff within a year: Oil Pressure Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Oil Pan Gasket, Valley cover Gasket, new Blockoff Plate.

View attachment 278891 View attachment 278892 View attachment 278893 View attachment 278894
same thing on my 05 tahoe! every time i stop i get 3 drops unless on an incline then i get a puddle, mine appears to be more of a the bottom of the block has a seam running horizontally around the motor , it seems to be the culprit.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
same thing on my 05 tahoe! every time i stop i get 3 drops unless on an incline then i get a puddle, mine appears to be more of a the bottom of the block has a seam running horizontally around the motor , it seems to be the culprit.

The way you describe it, sounds like a rear main because when it leaks it can puddle in the bell housing and then the oil moves as you stop and a few drops come out but if on an incline long enough it would leave a puddle as it comes out of bell housing. IMO

OP
OP
JonnyTahoe

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 279176 View attachment 279175

No hijacking worries here. Many rear main threads are already on here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JonnyTahoe

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy timing. Here's mine this weekend after blasting it clean with brake cleaner. Started it up and saw this: (It's either rear main seal/cover or I did a bad job on the oil pan gasket or BOTH) Thoughts? All new stuff within a year: Oil Pressure Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Oil Pan Gasket, Valley cover Gasket, new Blockoff Plate.

View attachment 278891 View attachment 278892 View attachment 278893 View attachment 278894
Great pictures.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EngineGuy