Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubba_A

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe the oil change indicator is fairly accurate, and you can believe what it says, however I still change mine every 3000 miles as well. By the way, if anybody is interested in extending their oil life, there is a company called Blackstone Laboratories, and they do oil analysis and they can tell you how much life is still left in your oil so you can maximize the life of your oil and save alittle dough!!. Not very expensive to do either. You can find them on the web. I send them samples periodically on my Chevy Duramax just to check up on the internals of my engine.. They can tell you alot about your engine just by doing and oil analysis.

Harry Seaward

Reaction score
I get about 9,500 miles before my oil life is down to 10%. I use Mobil 1 Truck and SUV (actually relabeled Mobil 1 Delvac), and squeeze every mile I can out of it. My '07 has about 59,000 miles on her.

G35 2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6000 miles until a change it? that to me is CRAZY, no matter what kind of I oil you use. I always change it at 3000, I use mobil one and moblie one filter.

007fl

Reaction score
Oil change frequencies are one of those things that start Hatfiled/McCoy fueds. :)

When I was racing my 'Cuda I changed my oil every week....
My daily drivers got changes every 3K for a very long time.....
The computer in our trucks is accurate and can be faithfully relied on. But old habits die hard. So,,,,, I use Mobil 1 and instead of waiting for 20K I change it at about 6-8K when the computer tells me to. It's a great compromise.

Do what makes you feel good about your truck. You don't have to change at 3K but if you want to, cool.

LVyukyuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also trending toward 6mos before 3K comes up. So, based on towing a boat and 115 degrees during summer months, I change at 3K. I stopped using synthectic as the Yukon is not a race car. Woke me up when the Lexus reccomends AGAINST synthetic in a high compression, high octane, V6. I'd say you would be fine following the indicator, but for me, I cant rely on a computer

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corvettes have been factory filled w/ Mobil 1 since early 90s. A GM engr on another forum stated that changing at the 50% mark for mineral oil and 0% for full synthetic was OK.

R.Beezy

Costco Member
Reaction score
i dont even go by the oil life indicator. i just change the oil once a year or every 6000 miles, whichever comes first. i use royal purple oil and a mobil 1 oil filter..

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched to Mobil1 years ago (mid 90's) and that is all I have used in my vehicles since. On my Dodge I used to change at 6k intervals (w/K&N Filters). On my Toyota I used to change (within a week or two) of when the maint light came on which would happen every 5k (with Toyota filters). With the Tahoe I'll probably go with the indicator or 6k whichever comes first will probably use a K&N filter.

For those paranoid about extending their change intervals. Check out Amsoil. Under normal usage they recommend 25k changes. I have a friend who is a dealer and he swears by it and uses it in all his vehicles. They have some pretty nice filters as well.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Replace AMSOIL Ea oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).

• In all non-gasoline fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate