Oil consumption tests done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sumo

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Just got her back from the Dealer. They replaced the valve cover. Not sure if they did one or both. What ever was involved with the recall. They did a engine decarbon. Dropped the oil pan and installed a shield/deflector for the AFM sensor. They also replaced the leaking fr axle seal. I asked for an alignment which i paid for. Good thing because they found the fr hub assembly to have play and they also replaced that under warranty. Finished the service with a fresh oil change. Total charges for today $89 bucks for cost of alignment. On the way home engine felt smoother and a bit stronger. That decarbonizing stuff they use is some good stuff.

OP
OP
sumo

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
any update if this has made your truck use less oil?

Wont know for a bit. ill report back when i get to around 50%. Thats when i started to notice when oil was getting low on the stick,

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Is this common on the 09's as well or only on the 07's ?

Seems to be all NNBS trucks. Maybe not all, but a lot

LILC509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wont know for a bit. ill report back when i get to around 50%. Thats when i started to notice when oil was getting low on the stick,

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Seems to be all NNBS trucks. Maybe not all, but a lot

I went through this for a year and paid off last September. I got a new engine which includes everything in the block and heads. All engine accessories are the original ones. But for free and no more oil consumption I got a new engine at 85K mi.

I was burning 1 quart or oil every 200-300 mi. without any smoke throught the exhaust.

willcla

Reaction score
So to get this problem solved did ya'll have to get your oil changed at the dealer and have them note that the engine was consuming oil or has this become a well known problem and I can simply go to the dealer and get them to work on it.

OP
OP
sumo

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
So to get this problem solved did ya'll have to get your oil changed at the dealer and have them note that the engine was consuming oil or has this become a well known problem and I can simply go to the dealer and get them to work on it.

Yes You have to complain of a oil loss/consumption. Gm will require 3 visits to your dealer usually 1000 miles each interval to log oil consumption. After your 3rd visit they will have the ok to do what is needed depending on what they find.

willcla

Reaction score
Yes You have to complain of a oil loss/consumption. Gm will require 3 visits to your dealer usually 1000 miles each interval to log oil consumption. After your 3rd visit they will have the ok to do what is needed depending on what they find.

So will this be covered under the powertrain warranty?

LILC509

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They will do all the documentation but you are the one that needs to push for the next step, next step and the next step or at least that's how my GM dealer is. They are not resistant but slow on doing things. Like I said it took me like a year for all their documentation, splash guard, cleaning of the engine but nothing worked and no leak or exhaust smoke. Be patient and it will pay off. If your truck is getting close to the warranty period or mileage then it should be done ASAP. Just an FYI the warranty is 5 years from in-service date not from date of your purchase if you bought it new or used and obviously 100K mi which ever comes first.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate