Oil gauge pegged, acting crazy, low pressure? Some advise for ya'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trebor8820

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh yeah, $40 for the part, $10 for a 27mm socket and about 2 hours of my time. :) I bet my neighbors got a kick out of seeing me trying to work on it, though...

163665_1755472692569_1411521819_31907562_6616834_n.jpg

Very entertaining to passing traffic, I'm sure. lol

OP
OP
Grocery Getter

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
That's funny....I had to stand in between the fans and the block on the motor mounts to get mine........would have been a great pic but it was at 6am alone in my garage.......

AZ-Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem and am 99% sure it is the sensor. Ironically I had the same problem on my 2000 corvette. I just replaced it and ironically it uses the SAME part number oil pressure sensor as the 2003 5.3L Yukon (the oil filter is the same as well), and based on this thread it sounds like it is in the same location. Long story short, there is alot of discussion about replacing this little bugger on the corvette forum (www.corvetteforum.com) under the C5 tech section. One of the members shot a video replacing the sensor without removing the intake - much more difficult task on the vette as there is very little room to get to the backside of the motor. He used a hanger, bent appropriately to unlatch the harness without damaging it and then the socket with universal joint and extension to remove and replace. I didn't feel comfortable going that route on the vette, so I took off the intake to get it done. Anyway, here is the link to the video he shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PvlDLcyXX8

docm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, I'm confused. I have a 03 Denali and when I bought the sending unit to diagram showed the sending unit on the passenger side near the starter. I had recently "practiced" taking out the starter when I had a relay go out on the truck, so I was familiar with the area. Strange thing is that when I went under the truck the part that looked like the one in the diagram has a oval connection, sort of light the head lamp plugs. I call the parts place and they said that was the only unit for the Yukon. I haven't looked on top or on the drivers side but I want to get more information before I get something torn up to bad to be able to drive it into my mechanic and dish out half an hour of labor, plus the OEM he wanted to sell me for $80. So am I destine to hug my engine like CHAZMAN or is the 03 where the O'Rielly's diagram said it was?

Mike Hartmann

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oil Pressure Sender

Great advice! Mine acted same and finally quit completely, showing zero pressure.
Replaced the sender per your instructions. Not a lot of fun, but not all that bad... Takes a 27mm deep socket. If you feel around for a lip on the connector and pull up it slides right off.
Thanks, Hope this helps someone.
:Handshake:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyRebel