Oil Gauge Pegged at 80... Sending Unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the wire become disconnected, cut in half or the Oil Pressure sending unit becomes bad the symptom is your oil pressure gauge will peg itself to far right. Also it is quite possible the stepper motor in the cluster is bad as well. Does the needle go far left when engine shutoff and then peg itself far right when engine started?
Yes- needle pegs when engine is off. I replaced the dash cluster because I had a bunch on lights out. Still pegged. Likely the sensor so here we go. Wish me luck!

WestLinnYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just swapped mine out using a wobbly and two extensions. It took 10 minutes start to finish. I put a rubber mat in the compartment and laid on it so I was looking over it. It wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Actually I spent more time worrying and watching videos than replacing the thing… also mine was pegged at 80 with key on - even no start.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful any time you are trying to lay across the engine compartment...

I was doing that when the plastic "T" connector that goes to the heater core had to be replaced.
It never occurred to me, that the purge valve and other things sit under the pretty Vortec engine cover.
When it came time to replace the purge valve, I saw where it was and realized... Dang! I am glad I didn't snap that thing off when I was sprawled across the top of the engine working on the heater fitting!

I made a mental note to be more careful when trying to reach things at the back or deep down below.

WestLinnYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I was doing that when the plastic "T" connector that goes to the heater core had to be replaced.
It never occurred to me, that the purge valve and other things sit under the pretty Vortec engine cover.
When it came time to replace the purge valve, I saw where it was and realized... Dang! I am glad I didn't snap that thing off when I was sprawled across the top of the engine working on the heater fitting!

I made a mental note to be more careful when trying to reach things at the back or deep down below.
Great feedback! I lucked out and didn't break anything, but I have a brush guard that took some of my weight. I also took the cover off. Mostly my weight was on the front subframe. But great call that people should use caution when laying on the engine compartment. Lots going on in there.

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update 11/13/22: successfully changed the sending unit. Ratchet, socket and a few extensions. Seemed to fix the problem temporarily. Oil gauge pressurized to 40. Then took her for a trip to Reno this weekend and it’s pegged again at 80, same as before. I used an AC Delco part. I will check the wiring plug tomorrow to see if it came loose or something. Otherwise bad part?

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great feedback! I lucked out and didn't break anything, but I have a brush guard that took some of my weight. I also took the cover off. Mostly my weight was on the front subframe. But great call that people should use caution when laying on the engine compartment. Lots going on in there.
I should have read this beforehand. While changing my sending unit was successful, upon starting the engine choked out and died. Turns out My fat ass knocked loose the air tube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PPV_2018