Oil Gauge Reading 80 PSI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChazMan

Reaction score
I just bought an used 2003 Escalade and the oil pressure gauge is pegged all the way to the right showing 80 psi whenever engine is running, and it goes to zero when engine is shut off.

I saw a similar posting else where but the OP never posted how he fixed the problem. People were saying either stepper meter behind the dash cluster, shorted wiring, or sending uint/switch might be bad... But no one really knows for sure.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed yet.
Thanks for your input.

Chaz

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
It could be any of those things. You'd have to rue them out one at a time. Probably not wiring, I'd guess stepper motor or sending unit. You can have the sending unit checked but from what I hear it's a PITA and once you rule that out you'll then know it's the stepper. You're looking at $100+ either way unless you can do the work yourself. I think the sending unit is on the back side of the engine near the firewall and a real ***** to get at.

Post it up if you get it worked our because I have the same issue and have been putting it off for way too long.

OP
OP
ChazMan

ChazMan

Reaction score
In oder of the most probable culprit to the least...
1. Sending Unit
2. Stepper motor
3. Wiring

The reason for above order is because if I just turn on the ignition on, the oil pressure gauge does not peg out even though the stepper motor is energized. It peggs out only if the engine is actually running. I am just guessing though. I think I will work on it myself. I will post if/when I find an answer...

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
In oder of the most probable culprit to the least...
1. Sending Unit
2. Stepper motor
3. Wiring

The reason for above order is because if I just turn on the ignition on, the oil pressure gauge does not peg out even though the stepper motor is energized. It peggs out only if the engine is actually running. I am just guessing though. I think I will work on it myself. I will post if/when I find an answer...

Ditto on mine..... if you replace the sending unit let me know how it went.....

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I just got my sending unit in the mail and might attempt it tonight. Does anybody have any tips/tricks to this? Or even know where it's at? I haven't looked much yet but anything would be helpful!

Thanks!

OP
OP
ChazMan

ChazMan

Reaction score
I just got my sending unit in the mail and might attempt it tonight. Does anybody have any tips/tricks to this? Or even know where it's at? I haven't looked much yet but anything would be helpful!

Thanks!

How much did the part cost you?
P/N ?

I have verified but I was told the switch would be right side of the engine block toward the firewall as you are sitting in the car. It wold be pretty obvious since you have the replacement!

Show us some pics if you find it.
Thanks!

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Looks like I won't get the chance tonight but the part number I got is Gm# 12616646 and AC Delco part # D1846A. I got mine new off ebay for around $20 but Oreilys had it for $40ish.

Here's a write up I found and then some other pictures here

OP
OP
ChazMan

ChazMan

Reaction score
Good job finding the post!
It sounds like finding a special tool to remove the switch might be the biggest hassle. The guy (GM mechanic) says, with the special tool, he can do it in 15 minutes.

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Not yet. Probably won't get to it til next week at the earliest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52