Oil Leak - 4.8L - Oil Pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfb007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Expensive

It is a $17 seal that is inside a cover that bolts to the back of the motor. It is like a dust cover for the rear of the motor. I think it is the rear cam shaft cover or something like that. It is called the rear cover assembly. Unfortunately you have to remove the transmission to fix it. It gets worse quickly. Mine was throwing oil all over the bell housing and the starter. I went ahead and replaced the seal inside the cover, the gasket on the cover, the oil pan gasket, and the rear main since it was all apart already. 128k on my 01' GMC Yukon XL.

OP
OP
NC_John

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a $17 seal that is inside a cover that bolts to the back of the motor. It is like a dust cover for the rear of the motor. I think it is the rear cam shaft cover or something like that. It is called the rear cover assembly. Unfortunately you have to remove the transmission to fix it. It gets worse quickly. Mine was throwing oil all over the bell housing and the starter. I went ahead and replaced the seal inside the cover, the gasket on the cover, the oil pan gasket, and the rear main since it was all apart already. 128k on my 01' GMC Yukon XL.

Its just called the rear cover and that really blows. That's as bad as the rear main since the transmission has to come out to access it. I've already done the oil pan and just did the intake manifold this past weekend hoping it was the oil pressure sending unit or cam position sensor. It wasn't so by process of elimination it is on the back of the motor- either that gasket or the main. I dumped a quart of rear main seal leak fixer on the weekend- kind of a long shot. Its been a couple hundred miles but I've been getting home too late to see if its still leaking. Mine just rolled over 198K miles.

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn i have an annoying leak as well. i hope its not this problem. mine seems to be leaking after i did an oil change, so i'm hoping the its the seal on the oil drain

BigShelley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Tahoe 4.8l and I have had the same oil leak issue. So far, I have replace oil pan seal, oil cooler plug seal, rear main seal, oil sending unit and oring on the position sensor. I see no oil running down the back of the block and the top of the tranny was clean as well. I am on the verge of replacing the intake seal but I dont fully believe that there is a leak there either. I am baffled as much as you are.

bking747

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replaced the rear cover and main seal on Sunday. It took two of us ten hours in the garage. It wasn't too bad if you have an impact with a swivel and deep sockets. And a three foot extension. It just takes a long time to get all the crap out of the way to get to the rear of the motor. The new cover should come with a seal already installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035