Oil Level -- can't get good reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, I can't get an accurate oil level reading. Either it's all the way up the dip stick, 1/2 way up the dip stick. I wipe it off, and same problem.
and I know I had 6 qts in there perfectly a month ago when I changed the oil.

2013 Burb 120,000 miles.

What causes this ?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flat ground.. let it set for a good 5mins or so. pull stick and read the lowest reading. meaning the lowest spot that doesn't have oil. front or back, sometimes sticks go in engines at odd angles and you'll see oil on half the stick high and dry spots lower.

you can also make twist it 180 and try that way. seems odd but I've had some go in and out easier turned just right

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On level ground let it sit overnite and check it in the morning.
What was a month ago may not be the case today.
There are many reasons it may consume oil.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JIC, don't have it running; then, as said- flat ground, check both sides of the stick, and make sure you're pushing the stick all the way in.

joe

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The fresher and cleaner the oil, the harder it can be to see. Engine off for at least 3-5 minutes, level ground, pull stick out and wipe clean, insert and pull back out and look for solid wet across the stick. Do not care about what is sticking to side edge of the stick, just what is making wet completely across the flat portion of stick.

OP
OP
T

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the answer: Truck must sit overnight to get an accurate reading. Otherwise, the dipstick tube is loaded with oil, preventing an accurate reading. The dip tube is pretty much to the top with oil.
Why, because of blow by. Oil is blowing up the tube from blow by, or bad PCV. 125,000 miles, uses a qt of oil per 1,000 miles. Not sure 1,000 miles per qt is acceptable or not, but it is what it is....

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@the blur I wonder if popping the oil fill cap will help relieve crankcase pressure allowing the oil to properly settle into the oil pan instead of sticking in the dipstick tube

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why, because of blow by. Oil is blowing up the tube from blow by, or bad PCV. 125,000 miles, uses a qt of oil per 1,000 miles. Not sure 1,000 miles per qt is acceptable or not, but it is what it is....
Piston rings are probaly stuck because of poor valve cover/pvc design. Install a catch can ($40): https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/get-a-catch-can-before-any-mods.49716/page-53#post-1288561
This will indicate if the pvc/valve cover is the cause of the oil consumption.

Read and perform this GM technical service bulletin: https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369