Oil pressure dropping at idle, almost stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roush611

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2003 Tahoe z71 with 100k on the clock. I went and got my oil changed earlier today (think they used 5w-30). Took the Tahoe out tonight and it was acting super strange at idle. Oil pressure would sit at 40 then slightly drop to 38ish causing the rpm's to drop and dash lights to dim. Basically almost stalling. I have been searching like crazy tonight and can't seem to find a cause. Some people are even saying this is normal with the vortec. Any insight would be appreciated because I'm starting to stress its something major.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that the oil pressure is dropping before the idle does? If by chance the idle is dropping first causing the oil pressure to drop because it's almost dying, then clean out your throttle body and see if that cures it!

OP
OP
R

roush611

Reaction score
Are you sure that the oil pressure is dropping before the idle does? If by chance the idle is dropping first causing the oil pressure to drop because it's almost dying, then clean out your throttle body and see if that cures it!

Thanks. I will keep a closer when on it. It has not been doing since that one night. Threw some injector cleaner in today as well.

Dberdusco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
More than likely a bad oil pump pickup oring.... There is a bulletin from GM on it..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus

Latest posts