Oil pressure gauge reading 80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05TahoeKay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I have an 2005 Tahoe and my oil pressure gauge is at 80. What does this mean and how do I fix this problem? Is it safe to drive like this? Please help

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your oil pressure sending unit is most likely bad.
Best way to check is turn the key to the on position but do not start the engine. If the gauge goes to 80, it is a bad sender.
Not horrible to replace... not fun either. Yes you can drive like that if it is the sender.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a short to ground in the sending unit. Mine did it last summer. Fail open is 0, fail short to ground is 80. You can check this by just turning the key on but not starting the engine. The dash will do the gauge sweep then oil pressure should go full 80 if it is a bad sender. Because if the engine is not running and you have pressure it can only be the sender.

roadking0678

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I have an 2005 Tahoe and my oil pressure gauge is at 80. What does this mean and how do I fix this problem? Is it safe to drive like this? Please help
agree it's prob the sending unit...I literally just had the same problem and replaced it last weeked. Fired up and gauge is reading 38-42psi like normal. Also, dont do what I did and not order the special socket tool with the sending unit...lol Costed me another week waiting for the amazon delivery with the tool.

OP
OP
05TahoeKay

05TahoeKay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
agree it's prob the sending unit...I literally just had the same problem and replaced it last weeked. Fired up and gauge is reading 38-42psi like normal. Also, dont do what I did and not order the special socket tool with the sending unit...lol Costed me another week waiting for the amazon delivery with the tool.
Ok. Yeah I ordered the tool lol. Is it still drivable? Did you have to remove the whole intake to put in the new one?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are ways to do it without removing the intake. Might involve small-ish hands and something to lie on across the engine bay. I did a friend's that way.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do it by feel. You can use one of those inspection mirrors to see it at first. Buy the special socket, there’s not enough room to use a regular one. When installing the new one, start it by hand so you know it’s not cross threaded. There is no screen under the sending unit like there is on the 07-14’s so just replace the sender.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the sender. I was able to use a regular deep socket on mine. Make sure the crush washer on the sender doesn't get cocked when you install it. And don't use anything but Genuine GM or AC Delco. You don't want to do it again. I use moving pads to lay on to protect my body and also equalize the weight across the top of the motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcqkslvr

Latest posts